'06 KJ windows not working *NOT the regulator problem* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > '06 KJ windows not working *NOT the regulator problem*

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

'06 KJ windows not working *NOT the regulator problem*

My '06 KJ did something odd tonight: Right rear window went down, then wouldn't go up. All the other windows worked. Then the left rear wouldn't go down, then the drivers side front wouldn't go down. The only window working (right now, at least) is the passenger side front. The rear windows don't work with either set of switches.
All the windows except the driver side front have had the regulators repaired with aftermarket parts.
I checked the 40A fuse under the hood for the windows, and it checks good.
My guess is either 3 of the switches went bad all at once (what are the odds of that?), or there is a problem with the BCM. Everything else in the KJ seems to be working just fine (lights/HVAC/etc), so I wonder if the BCM is even the cause.
How do I know if its the BCM or switches? Is there a way to "reset" the BCM? Are there other fuses that control the windows?
Any ideas at all would be appreciated!
Thanks!

BobFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromCO View Post
My '06 KJ did something odd tonight: Right rear window went down, then wouldn't go up. All the other windows worked. Then the left rear wouldn't go down, then the drivers side front wouldn't go down. The only window working (right now, at least) is the passenger side front. The rear windows don't work with either set of switches.
All the windows except the driver side front have had the regulators repaired with aftermarket parts.
I checked the 40A fuse under the hood for the windows, and it checks good.
My guess is either 3 of the switches went bad all at once (what are the odds of that?), or there is a problem with the BCM. Everything else in the KJ seems to be working just fine (lights/HVAC/etc), so I wonder if the BCM is even the cause.
How do I know if its the BCM or switches? Is there a way to "reset" the BCM? Are there other fuses that control the windows?
Any ideas at all would be appreciated!
Thanks!

The Service manuals usually call for the Master Window Switch Panel up front to be replaced for problems like this.

You can download the 2006 Service Manual here, quite a large file, 144 MB:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
The Service manuals usually call for the Master Window Switch Panel up front to be replaced for problems like this.

You can download the 2006 Service Manual here, quite a large file, 144 MB:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Thanks Bill! After posting this last night, I pulled the switch out, detected the faint odor of burnt electronics in it. I'll be headed to the parts store today.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

So, I found a replacement master window switch ($100!) and it resolved the issue with both drivers side doors, but the passenger side rear still will not go up... any ideas, anyone?
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

More: When trying to diagnose this problem, I've had 2 40 amp fuses blow. One blew when the motor wasn't even connected and I was checking for voltage at the motor harness. I have been able to get the pass rear window motor to work up and down when applying 12 volts directly to the motor (bypassing the jeep wiring), but it will not work through the factory switches. It looks as though there is only one relay for all the windows, so I don't think I've got a bad relay. I'm really pulling my hair out with this.
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
jbarthol
2005 KJ Liberty 

This happened with my Jeep. Directly under the drivers seat is a set of wires that controls everything, which on mine corroded causing all the windows to stop working. To get to them you need to take the seat out, and pull the carpet up. Hopefully it is something easy, and not this issue. Mine failed due to snow/ice melting, and soaking those wires. Troubleshoot, first before tearing everything apart to get to those wires though. Can be costly, if you go to a dealership.
jbarthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks, Jesse... As it turns out the problem may be a lot simpler. When I applied voltage directly to the motor and it went up and down, it was without the window glass on the regulator. When the window glass was secured to the regulator, and voltage applied directly the window would go down, but either not go up, or struggle to go up (I finally got it all the way up). So, that particular motor is either weak, or the regulator or glass is binding on something. I replaced the 40 amp fuses (they're over $4 each!), and reassembled the door, leaving that motor unplugged until I have more time to mes with it.
I did call a few dealerships, and the motor isn't replaceable on it's own, but has to be replaced with the entire (weak) regulator, to the tune of $210-$230 (parts only).
Long story short: Window is up, it's not going anywhere, everything else worked, and I'm out (so far) around $115.
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFromCO View Post
Thanks, Jesse... As it turns out the problem may be a lot simpler. When I applied voltage directly to the motor and it went up and down, it was without the window glass on the regulator. When the window glass was secured to the regulator, and voltage applied directly the window would go down, but either not go up, or struggle to go up (I finally got it all the way up). So, that particular motor is either weak, or the regulator or glass is binding on something. I replaced the 40 amp fuses (they're over $4 each!), and reassembled the door, leaving that motor unplugged until I have more time to mes with it.
I did call a few dealerships, and the motor isn't replaceable on it's own, but has to be replaced with the entire (weak) regulator, to the tune of $210-$230 (parts only).
Long story short: Window is up, it's not going anywhere, everything else worked, and I'm out (so far) around $115.
Try cleaning the window guide and spray a bit of WD-40 inside the guide on each side of the glass to make it easier for the glass to move.
Unread 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
BobFromCO
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Try cleaning the window guide and spray a bit of WD-40 inside the guide on each side of the glass to make it easier for the glass to move.
Thanks, Bill. I was thinking of spraying it down with some silicone spray lube and see what that does...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.