Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

05 Renegade Roof Rails???!!!

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  mikes_muse 
#1 ·
How do the friggin stock renegade roof rails come off from the roof? I want to take them off to have them rhino lined but I can't find any info on how to do it. I took the two torx bits out from the ends of the rail but that didn't help. I tried to pry the black end caps apart but no go there either. What in the world am I doing wrong? :confused:

I will have to get some pics on here of my Lib. I have all the chrome and silver blacked out with rhino lining and I love it. It was a pain to do the lettering on the back but it turned out pretty good. At least I think so. :) Now I just need to buy some series 97 black steelies and I am good on the blackening. :thumbsup:

#2 ·
hey there should be allen head bolts about every six inches down it an why not go with either rhino lining your stock rims since you've done the rest of the chrome that way or go with some black alloys (it might be just that i came from the tuner world an everyone tries to stay away from steallies) but i personally think black alloys look nicer

#3 ·
There aren't any other allen or torx bit heads except for one at each end of the rail. Those come out but don't do anything to help the rails come off (at least not that I can tell). Here is what the rails look like. It is a crappy, small, pic but it gives you a better idea of exactly what I am talking about.

http://z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/0/H/05_liberty_r_lightbar.jpg

Yeah, I thought about doing my rims, but I think I can get cheaper steelies, than the cost to have the rhino lining done. I have thought about sanding the rims and having them powder coated to match my fenders and bumper though, but again the steelies are cheaper. I like my stock wheels, but I am pretty sure I can sell my old tires and wheels to pay for the new steelies and have a little extra to go towards the incoming 265/75/16 **** Cepek Mud ****ry FCs. Te Jeep is a liberty Renegade by the way, I think I forgot to mention the Liberty part.

#5 ·
From the Factory Service Manual:
LUGGAGE RACK
REMOVAL
(1) Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent,
remove the roof rack covers. (Fig. 11)
(2) Remove the bolts and remove the roof rack.
(Fig. 10)
INSTALLATION
(1) Install the roof rack and install the bolts.
(2) Tighten the bolts to 8 N·m (75 in. lbs.).
(3) Snap on the roof rack covers.

I cannot copy the drawings, but it looks like there are two nutserts inserted into the roof sheetmetal at each anchor end of the luggage rack/rails. There are small cap screws/bolts threaded through these nutserts holding the ends of the rails down. It looks pretty straight forward once you pop off the trim cover on each anchor end.

Silver Streak

#6 ·
So do I have to have a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent? How do I get one of those? Silver Streak, have you done this to your lib? Can I just pry the black end caps apart with a thin flathead screwdriver? Am I going to break them if I do that?

I will get some close up pics when I get home tonight so I can show you exactly what I am talking about. Do you guys think that the dealer would do it for me for nothing or at least point me toward the right tool for the job?

#7 ·
So do I have to have a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent? How do I get one of those? Silver Streak, have you done this to your lib? Can I just pry the black end caps apart with a thin flathead screwdriver? Am I going to break them if I do that?

I will get some close up pics when I get home tonight so I can show you exactly what I am talking about. Do you guys think that the dealer would do it for me for nothing or at least point me toward the right tool for the job?
Dealer is not allowed to sell you any special tools, this is what they usually say anyway. The trim stick is a small often plastic but more often metal piece something or other half way between a putty knife and a screw driver maybe. Myself, i just use gentle pressure and work plastic covers off as needed, never had a problem with them on my Jeep. I seriously do not expect your dealer to do anything more than offer you a general price estimate as to the cost of removing the rack.

Silver Streak

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.