05 Liberty Popping out of first gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Liberty Popping out of first gear

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

05 Liberty Popping out of first gear

Hey all, I have an 05 with 3.7 6sp manual 120,000 Miles. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with it popping out of first gear when taking off slow (ie pulling out of a parking spot, or going through a drive through.) I've noticed it's starting to happen a little more and more. Kinda scares ya a little when you're not expecting it. First time it happend was when I was in a drive through and I swear I thought I got rear ended. It sounds horribe but I can put it right back in gear and away I go. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Thanks.

dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblair View Post
Hey all, I have an 05 with 3.7 6sp manual 120,000 Miles. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with it popping out of first gear when taking off slow (ie pulling out of a parking spot, or going through a drive through.) I've noticed it's starting to happen a little more and more. Kinda scares ya a little when you're not expecting it. First time it happend was when I was in a drive through and I swear I thought I got rear ended. It sounds horribe but I can put it right back in gear and away I go. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Thanks.
First thing to do is check you shifting linkage for wear,and proper Adjustment.You could have a worn shifting fork,or internal problem.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
RainyLake
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have the same but '06 model, about 76,000 miles. I started having the same issue last fall, but not very often (maybe once a month so far). No idea what's causing it though. I've also noticed a lot of roughness in the stick when shifting into second when it gets significantly below freezing. I'm wondering if my transmission fluid is degraded or low, though - it's near the end of the recommended interval, and I noticed significantly smoother shifting after the last fluid change. This is a total guess, though!
RainyLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
x99j

mine does this about once a year, and only for my wife. i have always thought that she didn't have it in first all the way? mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.