05 Liberty Popping out of first gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Liberty Popping out of first gear

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

05 Liberty Popping out of first gear

Hey all, I have an 05 with 3.7 6sp manual 120,000 Miles. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with it popping out of first gear when taking off slow (ie pulling out of a parking spot, or going through a drive through.) I've noticed it's starting to happen a little more and more. Kinda scares ya a little when you're not expecting it. First time it happend was when I was in a drive through and I swear I thought I got rear ended. It sounds horribe but I can put it right back in gear and away I go. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Thanks.

dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblair View Post
Hey all, I have an 05 with 3.7 6sp manual 120,000 Miles. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with it popping out of first gear when taking off slow (ie pulling out of a parking spot, or going through a drive through.) I've noticed it's starting to happen a little more and more. Kinda scares ya a little when you're not expecting it. First time it happend was when I was in a drive through and I swear I thought I got rear ended. It sounds horribe but I can put it right back in gear and away I go. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Thanks.
First thing to do is check you shifting linkage for wear,and proper Adjustment.You could have a worn shifting fork,or internal problem.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
RainyLake
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have the same but '06 model, about 76,000 miles. I started having the same issue last fall, but not very often (maybe once a month so far). No idea what's causing it though. I've also noticed a lot of roughness in the stick when shifting into second when it gets significantly below freezing. I'm wondering if my transmission fluid is degraded or low, though - it's near the end of the recommended interval, and I noticed significantly smoother shifting after the last fluid change. This is a total guess, though!
RainyLake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
x99j

mine does this about once a year, and only for my wife. i have always thought that she didn't have it in first all the way? mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.