05 Liberty parking brake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Liberty parking brake

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

05 Liberty parking brake

I'm having an issue with my parking brake where it doesn't work. A little history:

I bought the Jeep used about a year ago, and noticed, within days that the parking brake didn't work well. I took it back to the dealership, and they said the brake lever was broken, ordered a new one, replaced it, and the parking brake was tight, and held the Jeep, even on an incline. Then a few days later, I heard a something snap when driving down the road, pulled into a parking lot, and knew what happened when I tried to set the parking brake, since it was quite loose, and pulled up all the way.

I took it back to the dealership, they said the part must have been bad, ordered a new one, replaced it, and again, it was tight and held the Jeep. Again, a few weeks later I heard a loud snap, while driving, and the parking brake was loose, came up all the way, and didn't hold it well.

A few weeks later I had it at a different dealership for some warranty work. I mentioned the issue. Their mechanic said he tightened the drums, and that seemed to do the trick. Then, within a few weeks, the lever was loose, and didn't hold the Jeep.

A few weeks ago, I pulled up the center counsel to look at the brake lever. I noticed that there was a piece that could be moved by the lever, and it would tighten it up, or loosen it. The first and second image show when the lever is tight, and the third and fourth when it is loose. I tried leaving it tight, but then noticed the first time I used the parking brake, the brakes were sticking, and even after loosening this piece, they were still sticking. I removed the rear tires, and the regular disk brakes looked great, but I had to loosen up the parking brake star adjuster to remove the rotors to inspect the parking brake shoes. One of the shoes had broken off of the backing plate. I just loosened the both up big time, and I will replace them.

Sorry, I know that was long winded. Do you think that just replacing the parking brake shoes/springs/turning the rotors, along with tightening up the mechanism on the parking brake lever will be good enough, or might the new shoes start sticking again? Might I need to replace the parking brake lever again? What would have caused whatever it is to snap soon after installation on two separate occasions?

Thanks in advance, and sorry again about being long winded

img_7863.jpg

img_4868.jpg

img_5692.jpg

img_0891.jpg

hckrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
blakeKJ
2006 KJ Liberty 

It was never the lever (if you haven't figured it out)

The hardware seizes. Common problem.
Replace the shoe hardware and make sure the cable is good. Just my 2 cents.
blakeKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

So replace the shoes and springs (I'll also get the rotors turned at the same time), adjust properly, then do I tighten up that movable part on the lever? I wonder what it is that I've heard snap on the lever then? Is that piece I showed pictures of supposed to be movable?
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckrach View Post
Is that piece I showed pictures of supposed to be movable?
Yes,that is the parking brake lock out when replacing the cables and working on the parking brake itself.It in no way has anything to do with adjusting the parking brake.
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
hckrach
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yes,that is the parking brake lock out when replacing the cables and working on the parking brake itself.It in no way has anything to do with adjusting the parking brake.
So moving that piece forward tightens the cables, which is normal, so after replacing the shoes and springs, I need to move that forward, and I should be good to go? Then it should stay in place, at that forward setting? Because it moves freely, with nothing holding it in place

Any idea what I might have heard snap in there? Based on the pictures, does everything look alright?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.