05 Liberty KJ Overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Liberty KJ Overheating

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
usserraga
2005 KJ Liberty 

05 Liberty KJ Overheating

My 2005 Liberty suddenly overheated yesterday while stuck in traffic.
Although I live in North Texas it wasn't particularly hot (mid 80s F) but I got steam coming from underneath the hood.

Today I replaced:
- Thermostat
- Radiator Reservoir Cap
- Coolant Temperature Sensor
This is as much as I feel comfortable doing without a strong background in mechanics.

Still, after 20 min. idling it goes almost 3/4 of the gauge and I have to stop the engine. Same when I am driving it.
When I open the hood, I can feel the coolant boiling inside the hoses. No leaking visible.

Please, any pointers here will be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money at mechanics.

Thank you in advance!
Gabriel

usserraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usserraga View Post
My 2005 Liberty suddenly overheated yesterday while stuck in traffic.
Although I live in North Texas it wasn't particularly hot (mid 80s F) but I got steam coming from underneath the hood.

Today I replaced:
- Thermostat
- Radiator Reservoir Cap
- Coolant Temperature Sensor
This is as much as I feel comfortable doing without a strong background in mechanics.

Still, after 20 min. idling it goes almost 3/4 of the gauge and I have to stop the engine. Same when I am driving it.
When I open the hood, I can feel the coolant boiling inside the hoses. No leaking visible.

Please, any pointers here will be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money at mechanics.

Thank you in advance!
Gabriel
Did you see your cooling fan kick in?Quick way to check is put on the A/C and the cooling fan should run.If not then you need to check relay,wiring,and connector at the fans.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
usserraga
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Did you see your cooling fan kick in?Quick way to check is put on the A/C and the cooling fan should run.If not then you need to check relay,wiring,and connector at the fans.
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, the fan runs.
One question, though: Is the fan supposed to keep running even after turning the car off when the engine is still very hot?
Because it doesn't in my case.
I never put attention to this before so I can't tell whether this is a problem or not...
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thank you for your quick reply.
Yes, the fan runs.
One question, though: Is the fan supposed to keep running even after turning the car off when the engine is still very hot?
Because it doesn't in my case.
I never put attention to this before so I can't tell whether this is a problem or not...
I never heard my KK or My Charger fans stay on after I turn them off.Thats with over 100* outside.Double check your coolant you might have air in system,a common problem when the stat is changed.What you can try is put your heater on full blast,let it run but not to hot.Let is cool off and double check your overflow tank.
Unread 10-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
usserraga
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
I never heard my KK or My Charger fans stay on after I turn them off.Thats with over 100* outside.Double check your coolant you might have air in system,a common problem when the stat is changed.What you can try is put your heater on full blast,let it run but not to hot.Let is cool off and double check your overflow tank.
Ok, will do that.
Not sure what I will be looking for, though.
Is the coolant level supposed to be low after that?
Unread 10-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Ok, will do that.
Not sure what I will be looking for, though.
Is the coolant level supposed to be low after that?
If you have air in the system,the overflow tank should be low.
Unread 10-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
bradbb2005

2008 WK 

Maybe try a flush? sounds like you could also have a blockage somewhere preventing or limiting flow.

2008 KK 3.7L V6
Mods: None, Yet

Past: 1996 XJ 4.0 I6, 1998 ZJ 4.0 I6, 2001 WJ 4.7 V8, 2005 KJ Renegade 3.7 V6
bradbb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #8
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like the water pump isn't circulating the water, in a forum somewhere some one had a water pump that the impeller came off inside of the pump.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 , liberty , overheat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.