05 Liberty CRD P0093 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Liberty CRD P0093

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
orbanator7577

05 Liberty CRD P0093

I just want to put this out there. For the longest time I had the annoying p0093 error code and the Jeep would go in to limp mode often. I spent countless hours troubleshooting and online forum surfing.

The symptoms were as follows. Runs fine cold. Once it warms up, it gets bad gas mileage(21-22.5mpg), limp mode often(always at the worst times), sometimes ran hot, smokes under hard acceleration, sometimes a rough idle.
It cranks for 3-5 seconds before it starts and considerably longer when cold.

I had the engine and transmission re-tuned by GDE. I also replaced the whole filter assembly with the Racor 2 micron. Through some research I found the 10 micron stock filter may have been too large for the injector jets which could explain the clogging for some. I installed things like a lift pump, and replaced several sensors on the engine. None of this made any difference.

One day the engine went in to limp mode as usual and for the first time it threw a code "cylinder number 1 misfire". I ordered two injectors, 2 copper washers and 4 rubber seals. I replaced injectors 1 & 4, also replacing the injector seals on all as well. The warm crank time kept getting longer and longer. I have read about people on here with the warm start issue and I can tell you it is injector related. With the fuel filter aside, there is nothing wrong with our fuel system. I am confident that if a 2micron filter was used, we wouldn't be having 1/2 the issues.

The end result is the jeep starts immediately every time with in 1/4 to 1/2 second. No smoking at all. Averaging 26mpg now. No limp mode at all. No codes have been thrown since replacing injectors.

I no longer leave the windows down with keys in the ignition or have thoughts about ghost riding it in to a rock quarry. I hope this helps anyone with the P0093 issue. Injectors fixed mine.

Last edited by orbanator7577; 07-23-2013 at 08:02 AM..
orbanator7577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Thanks, good wright upOilburner
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds good!

I believe that ideally you need to get Keith to programe the unique number on each new injector into the ECM to get optimum performance and economy
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
orbanator7577

I asked GDE about programming the injectors. Here is what he had to say:

"I would need the ecm to program the injector codes, they are not stored in the tune flash code. It is not mandatory to install the codes as they only correct fuel flow +- 3% for the trim. There is a fuel balancing algorithm in the ecm code that will correct fuel flow on top of the injector coding, this is a learning function.

If you want them coded anyway, just ship in the ecm and I can do it for the cost of return shipping."

I am assuming he will do it for free since I spent $1200 on tunes. I do not have another vehicle to drive, so this isn't an option at this time.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
orbanator7577

I just want to help anyone with starting/running issues so they don't have to go through what I have.. I have read countless threads of people having similar issues with no fix. If you are having any drive-ability issues(cold start, hot start, limp, random codes, p0093), I would start with the injectors. Have them tested. Replace that filter with something better.

Now I just have to replace a glow plug #2 to make the CEL stay off.

Some reading:

http://jalopnik.com/364172/mercedes-...ency-techology

"few microns wide"

High-speed, ultra-precise piezoelectric injectors are among the key components of the second-generation direct petrol injection system. The invention of these injectors has spawned virtually all the advances in the spray-guided combustion system. The piezoelectric valves open their injectors outwards to create an annular gap just a few microns wide, allowing the fuel jet to form with a uniform, hollow cone-shaped pattern. Thanks to millisecond switching times, the piezoelectric injectors also permit the multiple injection that promotes lean-burn operation and helps create the ideal conditions for the engine's exemplary consumption figures. A high-pressure pump with downstream distributor and pressure valve supplies the fuel and regulates the amount delivered in accordance with requirements. With a pressure of up to 200 bar, the system develops around 50 times the fuel pressure of a conventional port-injection system.

Last edited by orbanator7577; 07-23-2013 at 01:12 PM..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.