05 kj sport 4x4 3.7 oil leaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 kj sport 4x4 3.7 oil leaks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
05kjsport
2005 KJ Liberty 

05 kj sport 4x4 3.7 oil leaks

My wife's libby has been leaving a couple spots on the garage floor lately and I would like to ask the experts if I am correct in my diagnosis. She has 136,000 on her and the first leak i spotted was after replacing the water pump, after looking underneath to make sure the coolant leak was gone I noticed there is a small drip of oil coming from between the harmonic balancer and the front of the oil pan it looks to me like the crank seal anyone had this issue? The second round of drips are coming from the front axle, on the passenger side there is a steady drip coming from where the axle shaft enters the axle housing looking from underneath the drip is visible on the round carrier that mates the shaft and housing, my guess is the axle oil seal anyone had this one? And last the front pumpkin is leaving a small dot on the ground obviously this one is the easiest of the bunch. The only leak that has left a big enough puddle on the ground to scare me is the axle shaft and being that here in ohio we are getting hammered with weather the four wheel drive is being used alot. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you!

05kjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The front crank seal is easy to replace,but it does require a special puller to remove the crank pulley.It's a $10 seal at the dealership.

The diff seals are a bit more involved,the pinion seal has a specific procedure that if not followed can destroy the front diff but the axle seals are not that bad but you must remove the CV axle to replace.
Unread 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
05kjsport
2005 KJ Liberty 

It is the passenger side axle seal that is leaking, anyone have a write up on it? The pinion seal is fine it looks like the drip is coming from the pumpkin gasket.
05kjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
Jcode68

Came across this thread, funny that my daughters 06 Liberty has the same 2 leaks after changing her water pump. The leak that is between the crankshaft and oil pan appears to be leaking coolant, does this sound right? I rechecked the water pump for. Leaking gasket since it sits right above the crank, but I cannot for the life of me find a leak. Any luck fixing your crank leak? Also looking for a procedure for the axle seal replacement as mine is leaking as well.
Jcode68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Shouldn't be coolant leaking from the crank seal. Would only be oil at that point. I'd suspect the water pump. What brand pump did you use and can you see the weep hole near the WP shaft?. Any noise? Could be a defective pump. I had a well known rebuilt one fail after a few months due to a bearing defect and spewed out the weep hole not the gasket. Would run down and show where you see it.
Unread 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Jcode68

If the weep hole is on the bottom side of e water pump, then no I cannot see it. It has to be the water pump gasket failed to seal. The pump is brand new, started leaking the day after i installed it (aftermarket from Advanced Auto). I am going to buy a new Felpro gasket and redo it this weekend. Anyone suggest using an RTV sealer combined with the gasket? It's actually a rubber gasket, like an O ring so I put it on dry. I scraped and cleaned the surfaces really well but still got the leak. PITA.
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Shouldn't need any RTV. I've heard of people using some but I'd use it very sparingly if at all. The big O-ring is like a crush gasket. Did you follow the proper torque and criss-cross when you tightened it down? I'd do like you plan and try a new "gasket".
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Jcode68

Yes I definitely did a cross cross pattern and torqued them evenly, although didn't use a torque wrench, just snugged them up tight. I also scraped the surface before installing, but I did not wipe down with brake clean or scuff with scotch bright like I usually do. Will go through more meticulously this time and clean really well and torque to 40 lbs and hope that does it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.