05 Jeep Liberty Rear ended-Will Tank Explode? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 05 Jeep Liberty Rear ended-Will Tank Explode?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 10-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
bluerose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
05 Jeep Liberty Rear ended-Will Tank Explode?

Someone hit me in the back as I was driving. I have a 05 Liberty Renegade with the spare tire. The driver hit the spare tire and it moved the placement a bit. It was really hard and I felt vibration in my upper spine and head but the first thought that came to my mind was oh **** will my fuel tank explode?! Am i going to die in an awful car fire?

I drove for the next 25 minutes in complete panic. I'm really dumb and paranoid when it comes to jeeps especially over the years of all the problems I've had to deal w on the car. This recall and their BS fix scares me. Can anyone who knows what they are talking about assure me that my fuel tank won't explode based on my story?

bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
ghostrider27
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 46
you're fuel tank would have caught fire on impact. inspect the tank. if its not leaking youre more than likely fine
ghostrider27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #3
brendanc
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
Someone hit me in the back as I was driving. I have a 05 Liberty Renegade with the spare tire. The driver hit the spare tire and it moved the placement a bit. It was really hard and I felt vibration in my upper spine and head but the first thought that came to my mind was oh **** will my fuel tank explode?! Am i going to die in an awful car fire?

I drove for the next 25 minutes in complete panic. I'm really dumb and paranoid when it comes to jeeps especially over the years of all the problems I've had to deal w on the car. This recall and their BS fix scares me. Can anyone who knows what they are talking about assure me that my fuel tank won't explode based on my story?
I don't mean any offense here, but... did you not call the police when you got rear-ended? If the impact was bad enough that your tire carrier/trunk door was damaged, I'm surprised you didn't just check the gas tank while you were at it? Not to mention making whatever moron rear-ended you pay to fix the damages.

Also I'm with ghostrider--your fuel tank would have caught fire almost immediately and if not, it would certainly be leaking in the event the tank was punctured/ruptured. That said, it would not be like in the movies where the car blows up. You would have plenty of time to get out of the vehicle, grab some popcorn, and watch it burn.
__________________
02 Liberty / 4" JBA Gold / RockLizard Fr Bumper & Sliders
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
bluerose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanc View Post
I don't mean any offense here, but... did you not call the police when you got rear-ended? If the impact was bad enough that your tire carrier/trunk door was damaged, I'm surprised you didn't just check the gas tank while you were at it? Not to mention making whatever moron rear-ended you pay to fix the damages.

Also I'm with ghostrider--your fuel tank would have caught fire almost immediately and if not, it would certainly be leaking in the event the tank was punctured/ruptured. That said, it would not be like in the movies where the car blows up. You would have plenty of time to get out of the vehicle, grab some popcorn, and watch it burn.

If you look at my car right now you'd hardly notice any damage to the tire carrier. If you look closely enough it is slightly displaced. Idk why I didn't call the police. the driver who hit me had insurance & we exchanged info, he had bad damage to his front I'm definitely not at fault. Just didn't seem necessary to call the police if my car was still drivable and issue of liability was so clear.

So my concern is how do I tell if the fuel tank is ruptured. I'm not offended if you think my questions are stupid-i'm not knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
jp7794
Registered User
2006 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MO
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
So my concern is how do I tell if the fuel tank is ruptured. I'm not offended if you think my questions are stupid-i'm not knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.
If you don't see or smell gas it is not leaking. If I didn't know better I would say you are making fun of the recall.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
brendanc
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
If you look at my car right now you'd hardly notice any damage to the tire carrier. If you look closely enough it is slightly displaced. Idk why I didn't call the police. the driver who hit me had insurance & we exchanged info, he had bad damage to his front I'm definitely not at fault. Just didn't seem necessary to call the police if my car was still drivable and issue of liability was so clear.

So my concern is how do I tell if the fuel tank is ruptured. I'm not offended if you think my questions are stupid-i'm not knowledgable when it comes to this sort of thing.
I don't think your questions are stupid... but you do know what gas smells like, right?
__________________
02 Liberty / 4" JBA Gold / RockLizard Fr Bumper & Sliders
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
excavator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 17
there is a recall to install a trailer hitch receiver on the liberty and it will protect the tank
excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #8
bluerose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
I know what gas smells like--i'm more than likely fine. I drove it again and didn't smell or see any gasoline leak. As for the trailer hitch I already have one but that's not really a solution bc the trailer hitch can only help with low impact crashes. I believe Chrysler's ex-engineer said that the trailer hitch was an unfounded solution to the problem. I guess it was probably the cheapest solution chrysler was going to offer considering how reluctant they were to even acknowledge a problem with the tank placement.

Thanks for all the replies, i'm just paranoid and have a really bad fear of being trapped in a car fire-the recall news did not help.
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,330
When your times come its going to get you no matter if you are in a Jeep Liberty or the space shuttle. I've been rearended 3 times, never thought another second about it. Stupidest recall ever................almost
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
bluerose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
When your times come its going to get you no matter if you are in a Jeep Liberty or the space shuttle. I've been rearended 3 times, never thought another second about it. Stupidest recall ever................almost
It's not really death but the manner of death I'd like to avoid if possible. I admire your blasť attitude towards the recall, but i just don't think 500 deaths is stupid esp considering how monumentally difficult it is for a giant corp like Chrysler to actually have to follow the NHTSA's recommendation.
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose View Post
It's not really death but the manner of death I'd like to avoid if possible. I admire your blasť attitude towards the recall, but i just don't think 500 deaths is stupid esp considering how monumentally difficult it is for a giant corp like Chrysler to actually have to follow the NHTSA's recommendation.
500???? where did you come up with that? No where have I read anything about 500 deaths attributed to the gas tank. There have been a few, very few, many vehicles have had their gas tanks in the rear and no issues .If you are that scared to drive it, I would be trading it off ASAP. I'm actually looking for another one, just got my Stepfather a 2006, I have an 03 and 04 need at least one more for my wife to drive
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
excavator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: nj
Posts: 17
I installed my own receiver on our Liberty few years back. Last month my wife was hit hard in back and the car that hit hew was mangled real bad after hitting the receiver. Nothing happened to our Liberty
excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,330
Ive been hit by a PT Snoozer, Chrysler New Yorker and some little Honda wannabe , all 3 times the Police have asked me what my involvement was since they didn't see any damage to mine Oh all 3 were towed away, I drove mine home and cleaned paint off my spare.
Still looking for those 500 people that were killed when they burnt up in a KJ

Found this but thinking it is even a higher number than it should be just the way its reported I know at one time only 9 had been associated with deaths in KJs
Wall Street Journal
BUSINESS
"Federal regulators have linked 51 deaths to fiery rear-end crashes involving 1993 through 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2002 through 2007 Jeep Liberty SUVs."

still looking for the other 449
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
bluerose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 6
http://online.wsj.com/articles/u-s-r...eps-1404320838

"Clarence Ditlow, executive director of watchdog group Center for Auto Safety, said Wednesday at least four people have died and two more have been seriously injured in Jeeps that caught fire in crashes since the recall was first disclosed. Mr. Ditlow, in a letter to federal regulators, said his organization counted 503 deaths in fatal crashes involving older Jeep models that caught fire after a crash. Of the 503 fatalities, 167 were caused by fire, he said."


Point taken-i'm sorry for my paranoia. What else can I say.
bluerose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,330
Center for Auto Safety
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.