04 Liberty Won't Start--Clicking Noise? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 04 Liberty Won't Start--Clicking Noise?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
TerryHawk
2004 KJ Liberty 

How would I go about doing that? I have never done it before.

TerryHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryHawk View Post
How would I go about doing that? I have never done it before.

I presume you are refering to "jumpering pins 30 and 87?"

In the fuse/relay box under the hood is a relay marked "Starter Relay"....it is shown on the decal on the box lid usually.

Make sure you are in Park/Neutral so you do not run yourself over if the engine turns over.

Pull out the Starter Relay....you can quickly swap it over with an identical relay nearby...ie. same part number....just in case the actual relay is faulty.

Now that the Starter Relay is removed, flip it over and you will see the pins are numbered...you are only interested in pins 30 an 87. Make a note of where those pins will go inside the relay socket...sometimes the relay socket has pin numbers marked already.

Now with the relay still removed, carefully insert a piece of wire into pins 30 and 87 in the relay socket... a straightend-out paper clip should do.....the solenoid should engage and turn the engine over.....if not then check fuse 8 (40 A) in the same fuse panel.

If this works, remove the paper clip and turn on the ignition key to the last position before the final "start" position. Now jumper the relay socket points 30 and 87 again.....if you are lucky the engine will fire and run so quickly pull your wire jumper out or the starter will stay engaged to the now running engine.

If this works then we need to chase the error down with a few more steps but at least you can drive the Jeep.
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
mudd24

Thank you both I am going to try as soon as I get off work. Ill let you guys know what happens.
mudd24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.