04 Liberty V6 gas check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 04 Liberty V6 gas check engine light

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy Aluminum Bumpers

Unread 12-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
coreyp
2004 KJ Liberty 

04 Liberty V6 gas check engine light

The problem is with my parents 2004 jeep liberty with about 79000 miles.It is showing three trouble codes codes,code one P0301,code 2 P0562 and code 3 P700.I took it to Autozone and had them read them and they gave me generic print out of what the codes mean but I was hoping somebody could explain more about them and what is causing the code and how to fix it.

coreyp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well from what I get with a quick search is that p0562 is system voltage low. Bad battery? Did the car sit with a light on or something killing the battery? P700 with again a quick search showed Trans Control Malufuntion. That could/may be cause by the low voltage. On newer cars when a battery dies it can play with the computers. I would have the battery checked/replaced. The codes should clear with the battery unhooked and you can see if the p700 comes back. My guess is it wont but I wouldn't chance that. Double check it. The other code is a cyl one misfire. Have the plugs been replaced. If not its a good time. If they have recently been done I would double check them. Make sure the gap is ok. Also check the tubes (wires if you wanna call them that) in between the coils and plugs. They can go bad. Other then that I would check the individual coil. Make sure it has power. Ohm it out.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

One thing is certain, if you got low voltage, the KJ is not going to be happy about it, and it will throw codes.
First check the battery electrolyte level (if battery has removable caps) and fill to above cells if low, not all the way to top, with distilled water. Clean the terminals if corrosion present.
Manually charging a weak battery for 24 hours at 2 amps and then having a load test done on that battery is in order. If battery replacement is required find one that has a higher rating at 800 CCA (cold cranking amps)
Also ensure that the alternator is putting out more than 14.5 volts while running.
Then clear the codes, and see if anything else shows up.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

More then 14.5v? Thats getting a little high IMO. I like to see them 13.2v-14.5v. Most vehicles volt gauges the red starts at around 15v. You dont want to cook your battery.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

^^14.6 is within spec for charging voltage with the jeep running and alternator charging..
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
coreyp
2004 KJ Liberty 

I checked that battery without is started and it read 12.3V and started it read 14.5V so the alternator probably isn't the problem.I'm starting to think its the battery since its the original one.As for the misfire I still need to check the spark plugs,but it has been cold and snowy today so I'll try to check them Friday when I don't have to work.
coreyp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
^^14.6 is within spec for charging voltage with the jeep running and alternator charging..
I know it is within spec. Its just on the high side. I spose though these may be different from what I am used to working on. Highest we see on average is 14.1v. And that is out of the smaller freightliners. The larger class 8 trucks usually run around 13.8v. Anyways to keep on topic corey my suggestion would be to clear the codes and see what comes back. Maybe the battery got drained at one point and the computer saw and logged that code. Then the trans controller got messed up due to low voltage so the computer logged that code as well. I dont believe the misfire problem is part of that though. Thats more then likely a separate issue. Also if the scan tool you are using is good enough it should be able to show you counts on the codes. Everytime the computer see's that problem it logs it and adds a count to it. If you only have one count I would not worry about it. If you have multiple counts thats when I would do something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.