04 Liberty tail light problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 04 Liberty tail light problems

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Adroc3905

04 Liberty tail light problems

Hi everyone,

I have searched the forum but was unable to find my answer so now I am posting it. I appreciate any and all help.

I recently (last fall) installed an aftermarket trailer hitch wiring harness that uses a piggy back type system from the left and right rear factory harnesses. It worked flawless until now.
Last week the Jeep left turn signal indicator inside the cluster would illuminate when I applied the brakes and the left brake and middle brake lights would flash when I used the left signal. I immediately assumed it was a crossed ground wire between the signal and brake lights at the harness so I unplugged the aftermarket trailer hitch piggy back system and reinstalled the factory harness as a temp fix. Now the driver’s front and rear parking lights do not illuminate at all but the cluster illumination when applying brakes and flashing during signal operation has stopped. The rear bulb is fine (although now that I think about it the front one has yet to be checked) as I tested it to be sure. Also the turn signal, brake and reverse work perfect. It’s simply the parking light feature for the entire driver’s side that is not operating now.

Rather than trace a chaffed or broken wire through thru numerous feet of Jeep I was hoping that maybe someone could recommend some other options I can exhaust first. I also checked the fuse box inside the Jeep. Here is the weird part. The 2004 owner’s manual states that fuse location #23 is the left parking light fuse. I immediately though awesome….easy fix. Well in my Jeep fuse location #23 is empty. There is not even prongs to accept a fuse into this location. So now I am baffled. Are there fuses under the hood that may be worth looking at? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

Adroc3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

There is a Sticky above called Liberty Service manual.
Download section 8, circuit diagrams (about 40 meg)
This is for the 2002 models,gas or diesel,local or export, LHD...RHD etc. but I think the basic wiring and harnesses will not have changed much for the later models.
It is in PDF format, keep it on your PC and print the pages you think are relevant...I find this extremely usefull!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

This is directly caused by a trailer harness issue. Same happened to ThunderbirdJunkie's. He simply removed the harness.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Adroc3905

Removed harness completely, similar issue. Its not the harness causing this.
Adroc3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

As I said two posts above, download the circuit diagram and use it or get someone with some electrical knowledge to use it to trace the problem.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.