04 jeep 3.7 runs rough at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 04 jeep 3.7 runs rough at idle

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
budmcword
2004 KJ Liberty 

04 jeep 3.7 runs rough at idle

Hi all, My jeep is running rough at idle and when trying to maintain a speed. Taking off it my hesitate for just a moment but then goes fine. its not until I easy off on the throttle and try to maintain a speed that it shakes and shutters or when I come to a stop. The jeep check engine light was on with a code P0300.

I changed the plugs, coil pack, ran some fuel injector cleaner, and even the catalytic converter ($$ not well spent there )

Let me rewind a little... When I changed the plugs the #6 cylinder had a bad plug. The plug was wet and was obviously not firing. This led me to believe, after changing the plugs and the problem remained, it was the coil pack. Once that was changed and the problem remained, I got flustered and did a crappy evaluation and said well its the cat.

So now the jeep is throwing several codes and runs the exact same. The code are p0300, p0302, p2302, p2305, p2308, p2311, p2314, and p2317.

Any thoughts on this Could it be the PCM?

budmcword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
oldfamilyguy

It could be the pcm, but look up all of those codes first to gain some understanding before randomly changing more parts. I believe they all relate to misfires and coils on more than 1 cylinder.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

All of the coil pack secondary circuits are showing an "Insufficient Ionization" error - and you have a general misfire code and misfires on cylinder #2.

There is something going on with the ignition system but beyond that I can't help you. Best take it to a shop that can put it on their scanner and look further to see if there is a fuel delivery issue and maybe run compression tests to check for valve train issues.

Post here when you get an answer.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
budmcword
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
It could be the pcm, but look up all of those codes first to gain some understanding before randomly changing more parts. I believe they all relate to misfires and coils on more than 1 cylinder.
Thanks, the original code was only p0300. I looked that code up and did research using this site and others on what the problem(s) could be... None of the parts were randomly changed. You're right the code p0300 is related to a random misfire on more than one cylinder. I took it to a shop after doing all the work (Meineke) who can't figure it out either... I guess I need a better mechanic shop. Thanks for responding tho and I will let you know what it is when its figured out.
Unread 03-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
budmcword
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
All of the coil pack secondary circuits are showing an "Insufficient Ionization" error - and you have a general misfire code and misfires on cylinder #2.

There is something going on with the ignition system but beyond that I can't help you. Best take it to a shop that can put it on their scanner and look further to see if there is a fuel delivery issue and maybe run compression tests to check for valve train issues.

Post here when you get an answer.

Bob
Thanks Bob, Your advice is well received and I'm ready to find a better mechanic shop than Meineke, lol. I took it there before posting and they couldn't figure it out. I will post up when I figure out the problem.
Unread 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
oldfamilyguy

Quote:
This led me to believe, after changing the plugs and the problem remained, it was the coil pack. Once that was changed and the problem remained, I got flustered and did a crappy evaluation and said well its the cat.
Plugs, coil and cat. Just saying, try to diagnose first instead of wasting money on parts you don't need to replace. Although new plugs is never a bad idea I guess so long as thy're the correct ones. Good luck.
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.