03 rene hitch class? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 03 rene hitch class?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

03 rene hitch class?

I was reading the owner manual and they listed a class 2 and a class 3 as an option. I have a 03 renegade with ( i think) factory mounted hitch.

Can anyone tell me how to verify if i have a class 3 or not. Most places have conflicting specs, 3500lbs (2) or 5000lbs (3).

Im looking to get a camper which usually is around 3000lbs so i would be able to tow with either, but im skeptical my liberty could do that on a class 2.

I would opt for the oil cooler as well. Any other equipment i should look for towing?

kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrenegade03 View Post
I was reading the owner manual and they listed a class 2 and a class 3 as an option. I have a 03 renegade with ( i think) factory mounted hitch.

Can anyone tell me how to verify if i have a class 3 or not. Most places have conflicting specs, 3500lbs (2) or 5000lbs (3).

Im looking to get a camper which usually is around 3000lbs so i would be able to tow with either, but im skeptical my liberty could do that on a class 2.

I would opt for the oil cooler as well. Any other equipment i should look for towing?
If yours has the 2" receiver with a Mopar sticker to the left of the receiver and the wiring harness says Chrysler on the flap over the 7-pin plug then you have the factory Class III hitch and tow package. Does yours look like this?

And if you have the hitch factory-installed then you also have the HD Cooling which includes an extended fan shroud and a mechanical fan on the water pump and electric fan in front of it. This is what it looks like:

You will have the transmission oil cooler in front of the radiator as well - though most KJ's come with the tranny cooler and a power steering cooler on the driver side in front of the radiator whether they had the tow package from the factory or not.

The manual states that to tow 5000lbs you must use a trailer leveling system with the components I listed above - otherwise the limit on the KJ is 3500lbs. That being said most who tow regularly skip the leveling system and tow up to 5K anyway. You may also want a brake controller - here's a very comprehensive How-To for putting a brake controller in your Liberty.

You'll find the Liberty is a very capable tow vehicle.

Let us know what you have!

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bob is the extended fan shround and mechanic fan something you can add on to a liberty if you dint have it?
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Luke09
2005 KJ Liberty 

*whistles* Wow Bob ... that is a cleeeeeean undercarriage!
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
Bob is the extended fan shround and mechanic fan something you can add on to a liberty if you dint have it?
Yes - here is a thread that gives you part numbers, etc, and there is a link to the the installation in the second post.

As a side benefit I noticed my AC stayed cooler during stop & go traffic on really hot days - a benefit of having that mechanical fan pulling extra air through the condenser.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
*whistles* Wow Bob ... that is a cleeeeeean undercarriage!
Thanks! Couple times a month at the self-serve with the high pressure wand and a rattle can of Rustoleum Hammered Black does wonders

Bob
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the Info Bob. I will be ordering all this soon. What all did you use for your trams cooler?
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain98xj View Post
Thanks for the Info Bob. I will be ordering all this soon. What all did you use for your trams cooler?
You already have an external trans cooler in front of the radiator. On the right/passenger side of the engine bay look for two metal tubes/cooler lines running along the unibody frame rail. They're attached to rubber hoses with a mesh covering - the hoses run into and out of the trans cooler that is in front of and runs along the bottom width of the radiator. The four arrows show the lines I'm talking about; ignore the other rubber hoses as that's a mod I did to use the in-rad cooler before the standalone trans cooler.

You can do the same mod if you need to replace your radiator. Just get one for a 2002 Liberty which has the in-rad tank and do the same thing. But for your towing needs your existing standalone trans cooler in combination with the HD shroud, electric fan and mechanical fan will more than suffice.

Bob

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.