'03 Liberty with code P0420. And low engine oil level! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > '03 Liberty with code P0420. And low engine oil level!

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

'03 Liberty with code P0420. And low engine oil level!

My '03 recently triggered this code P0420 "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)".

When I searched this forum someone mentioned something about the engine consuming oil. Which could trigger this code. Not sure if this the case in my Jeep but I've noticed that after several thousand kilometers the engine oil level gets very low. Yesterday I added three Liters of oil after using the car for about 4000 kilometers. I am using 5W-40 synthetic engine oil. I don't have any leaks in the engine and there is no smoke suggesting a bad piston ring or so. Shouldn't there be a light in the dash for low oil level?

Should I deal with this as one? Or two different issues?

Note that the engine oil thing was happening for about a year now. Never had the time to look into it. I've always checked the oil level and just keep adding oil till the next change.

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ever change the PCV valve? A bad PCV valve can cause oil to be used.
Unread 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Ever change the PCV valve? A bad PCV valve can cause oil to be used.
Interesting... Since it's a cheap fix I'll try that. But are those two problems related?
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just took it to a mechanic. He said that since the oil level decreased that can only mean that the engine is burning oil
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
Some mechanics will say anything to generate a work order.
We brought our KJ in for a free oil change at the local Chrysler dealership and a Chrysler mechanic
told us that we needed a new front driveshaft because all the components were worn out...
This is after we had a custom made driveshaft built up using "U" joints!

What was it?

Just prior to bringing in our Rig for the oil change I loosened the drivers side swaybar end link at the
lower control arm just enough to make a clunking sound to see just how crooked this stealership was!

Like I said, get a second opinion.
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I've had my share of stealership incidents which is why I prefer doing as much work myself on my cars as I can.

Anyway. I got all three crankcase breather valves today. Will install them tonight and I hope this will solve my oil issue.

And by the way, the check engine light turned off by itself this morning and till now it's still off.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
mzamiska

I have been battling error codes now with my in-laws 2005 Liberty 3.7. We now have a P0420 error. I had recently replaced the Bank 1-1 O2 sensor for previous error code and now have this one. Any ideas?

New info: Recently cleared codes and we are now in a bind to get the truck to pass emissions. We found the new code came up of P0038. I replaced the downstream Bank 1-2 O2 sensor and am awaiting feedback from them to see if there is any other errors. I found that the error we were now getting means that it was this O2 sensor going. They have almost 200K on the jeep and only have changed O2 sensors on driver's side, normal 3K oil changes, air filter, and the PCV valve. I am actually surprised they haven't had any other issues.

Last edited by mzamiska; 03-02-2014 at 12:51 PM..
mzamiska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
dmanars
2004 KJ Liberty 

Im having the exact same issue right now. My check engine light turned off too, but came up again. I plan on changing the PCV valve and the o2 sensors. Questions... Where is the pvc valve? Do I need anything special to replace it? Anything I need to know about the o2 sensors? any pointers or inputs are appreciated.
dmanars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

PCV valve is the little plastic piece sticking out the side of the oil fill tube. It has a breather line attached to it that goes all the way back to the intake. It twists to remove but right into the heater lines and then pulls out. A little tricky to do without feeling like you'll break it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.