'02 Won't start when weather is warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > '02 Won't start when weather is warm

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
CTC09

'02 Won't start when weather is warm

Title says it all. I go to start it up and she won't even turn over or anything. The thing though is that all the electronics work fine, radio is good, lights come on etc. It has been getting progressively worse over the last couple of summers, it did it a few times in '11 and in '12 I couldn't get her to start at all if it was over 80 degrees and the sun was out. I was a waitress at this time and didn't get off work until like 11PM most nights and it would start up fine then so it didn't really bother me, it was just an annoyance.

However, now that I have a full time 9-5 job it is becoming a major hassle. It won't start up at all when I go to leave work now that the days are becoming hotter. My mechanic thought it may be a starter but we changed that and it is still doing it. So I have on idea what is going on and neither does anyone I take it to and I don't want to waste my money trying to add parts on the the car until it works, I want to get it right the first time. So if anyone could help me out or has any experience with their jeep doing the same thing I would greatly appreciate it.

CTC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
CTC09

It's not clicking or anything. Basically all I get are the electrical stuff in the jeep. I can turn my radio on and turn my lights on and everything but not a peep from the engine. No clicking or attempt at starting what-so-ever.

Funny thing though is one time when I was stuck one of my guy friends licked my key and it started right up.... I try this every time it won't start now and maybe about 10% of the time licking the key will actually get it to start. Another maybe 10% I'll throw it in neutral and it'll start. But the vast majority of the time, if it gets hot it won't start until the sun goes down and it cools off.
CTC09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC09 View Post
It's not clicking or anything. Basically all I get are the electrical stuff in the jeep. I can turn my radio on and turn my lights on and everything but not a peep from the engine. No clicking or attempt at starting what-so-ever.

Funny thing though is one time when I was stuck one of my guy friends licked my key and it started right up.... I try this every time it won't start now and maybe about 10% of the time licking the key will actually get it to start. Another maybe 10% I'll throw it in neutral and it'll start. But the vast majority of the time, if it gets hot it won't start until the sun goes down and it cools off.
Strange to get a heat related problem such as you have but here are some general tips if the starter solenoid does not even "click".

Always make sure your battery is in good shape and all battery and earth straps to the chassis are clean and tight and battery connections are clean and tight.

There are many reported problems of the actuator pin breaking...this is the pin that turns the ignition switch when you turn the key. You may need to open up that area and check your ignition switch and this actuator assembly.

While you are there you can turn the engine over by making sure it is in neutral, key with SKIM chip is in ignition slot, then turn the ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver.

If the actuator pin is broken or damaged then the cluster lights may come on but the starter solenoid does not click...you can buy the actuator assembly but not from the dealers.

Then you can try swapping over the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it or remove the Starter Relay and jumper out pins 30 and 87 in the relay socket...making sure you are in neutral! This bypasses the ignition switch, the Starter Relay and the interlocks that check that you are in Park/Neutral.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.