02 no crank no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 02 no crank no start

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 11-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
bulrokyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

02 no crank no start

I have an 02 limited with 180xxx miles. Turn key to acc and dash and idiot lights come on. Turn to start position and hear a click (from starter) and all lights on dash go off till I return key to run position.It wouldn't turn over. Pulled the starter and it works but no crank. Tried to put breaker bar on crankshaft pulley and I couldn't get it to budge. I didn't take spark plugs out so maybe that is why it wouldn't rotate. I'm gonna try that this week. I'm thinking the motor is toast but looking for other possibilities. Any help would be much appreciated.

bulrokyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
2007LIB
2007 KJ Liberty 

Battery?
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
bulrokyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Battery seems to be ok. Haven't put a meter on it or anything. Going to pull starter and have it checked along with the battery. I will update when I get that done. Thanks
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulrokyj View Post
I have an 02 limited with 180xxx miles. Turn key to acc and dash and idiot lights come on. Turn to start position and hear a click (from starter) and all lights on dash go off till I return key to run position.It wouldn't turn over. Pulled the starter and it works but no crank. Tried to put breaker bar on crankshaft pulley and I couldn't get it to budge. I didn't take spark plugs out so maybe that is why it wouldn't rotate. I'm gonna try that this week. I'm thinking the motor is toast but looking for other possibilities. Any help would be much appreciated.
With the spark plugs out you should be able to turn the engine with a breaker bar....unless something is horribly wrong
Unread 03-25-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
bulrokyj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

Had a mechanic friend of a friend of mine tell me the motor is locked up. When you turn the key you can see the crank turn a little bit when starter engages. I haven't ever seen a locked up motor before but I didn't think it would move at all if it was locked. I don't really want to junk it but can't afford to swap the engine. Any ideas? Came to the experts here again to get advice on what to do. Thanks for taking the time

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.