02 liberty "whooshing" sound?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 02 liberty "whooshing" sound??

NEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 07-21-2015, 05:00 AM   #1
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

02 liberty "whooshing" sound??

Good morning.

I got in my liberty this morning to go to work, and when I start it up, I hear a loud whooshing sound coming from the front of my car. I was quite alarmed because I just had the radiator replaced, so I thought it might be a cooling system issue. I lift the hood and take a look and while I dont know much about cars, (that's what husbands are for!) everything looked normal. The fluids I could check all looked fine. I decided to go for it and drive the 8 miles to work. The sound became intermittent, and i noticed a considerable loss in power. I got to work and checked for leaks, but so far there aren't any. Any idea what this could be? A google search only pulled up results for a bad wheel bearing, which can't be the case as my car makes noise upon start up. Please say it isn't major. I just went around and around with this car trying to figure out why it was overheating. I appreciate your help.

jordannn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

It may be your HD cooling fan...you know if you have a big fan behind your radiator? I'll get a loud whooshing/roaring sound on certain days when I start the truck and accelerate from lower speeds. It'll engage to reduce temps under the hood when you're not moving or moving at slow speeds I believe
Unread 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #3
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

So is this serious? Still ok to drive?
Unread 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

As far as I know, if it is in fact your HD cooling fan, it's supposed to. Mines done it for 2 years and no problems with anything...
Unread 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

If it is the fan, would that explain the loss of power/sluggishness?
Unread 07-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

I suppose...to an extent. It's just another accessory causing parasitic draw from the engine. Just like losing power when you turn the AC on.
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

A noticeable loss of power due to the electric fan is NOT normal. I speak as someone who's owned a KJ with HD cooling for 10 years from new.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have no idea if I have hd cooling. What's the best course of action here?
Unread 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
kjsteve
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordannn View Post
I have no idea if I have hd cooling. What's the best course of action here?
Do you have a plastic fan attached to the water pump? And an extended shroud around it? If you have this then you have the HD cooling pkg.

Sent from somewhere under the heep
kjsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Thejarhead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A loud whooshing noise. Reduced power. Radiator replaced. Someone forgot to hook something back up or hooked it up wrong. Is your engine light on? With your vehicle's engine off, raise the hood and look at every hose and wire, do they all seem to be in place nothing just hanging like a wire unhooked or a hose that you can look down inside? Maybe the clips on the side of your air box where your air cleaner is located are unclipped. An emission hose might not have been reattached. If you can not see it and its very obvious and an easy fix, take it back to the place that put the radiator in (Husband?) and tell them to fix it.
Thejarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #11
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

Everything looks fine and in place. My husband thought so too. The radiator was replaced two months ago. Its not overheating or anything, just very slow to get up to speed and the incessant noise. Guess I'm taking it back in. I hope this car doesn't become a money pit. Lol.
Unread 07-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #12
Thejarhead
1997 TJ Wrangler 

All vehicles are money pits. Some more than others. Let your husband take it back in and have him calmly explain the problem, so they don't try the "shes a dumb girl dance" with you. Or better yet go with him or take him along, whichever. Good luck.
Thejarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #13
jordannn
2002 KJ Liberty 

The radiator repair is under warranty, so hopefully whatever is causing this falls under the initial work they did. Thanks for your help.
Unread 07-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Tombo_ontario
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ya I should have been more specific with my "to an extent" comment. Like they said above, the loss of power is "barely" noticeable... I notice more of a loss due to my AC because the bearings are going. Hope you get it resolved if there really is an issue!
Unread 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Why don't you just remove the clutch fan and see if the noise goes away and the power comes back? The efan is sufficient for normal driving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.