02 Liberty. Nickle and dime to death. Heater Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 02 Liberty. Nickle and dime to death. Heater Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
knuckleslammer
2002 KJ Liberty 

02 Liberty. Nickle and dime to death. Heater Problem

Here we go again. 70k on my 02 liberty. Last week oil pressure switch. This week heater problem. Heat works, AC works. Problem is it only blows out of defrost vents. Can't switch it to floor or vents.

Any ideas. This car is killing my family with nickle and dime and I need money for xmas.

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Does the cruise control work? Sound like an air leak
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
knuckleslammer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just curious, what does the cruise control have to do with it? I know there must be an explanation. Not sure, just got word from wife about this. I'll check and get back to you.

As far as an air leak. I called the dealer. They said sometimes it could be a cracked hose under the hood? So that said, does this system of switching vents work off some type of vacuum system rather than an electronic switch with motor type of thing?

Any help is appreciated. I would rather not spend another $200 at the dealer. Last week it was $200 for oil pressure switch.

Kevin
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
knuckleslammer
2002 KJ Liberty 

She said it does not appear to be working but light comes on (cc light) but I then explained that you have to go over 30 I believe. I'll test it myself when I get home.
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
jeepjeepster

The cruise and the blend door(controls where heat comes out) both work off of a vacuum. Its kinda common and yes, the dealer was right about a hose being cracked.

Open the hood while the Jeep is running and listen for a hiss. The blend door seems to default to the defrost mode when it doesnt have a vacuum. Friend of mine had the same problem with his 1993 Cherokee.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
captainfarrell

Ok, the cruise control doesn't work. I listened for hisses with and without the blower motor on and with the engine on and off. I can't find any hiss and there are so many hoses I don't know what's what. Any idea what I'm looking for and where? Under the hood by the drivers side firewall is where I looked. Sorry for the double usernames. I was at work and couldn't remember this one at home. So, knuckleslammer is me as well. Mods can delete either one.

Kevin
captainfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
knuckleslammer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok, the cruise control doesn't work. I listened for hisses with and without the blower motor on and with the engine on and off. I can't find any hiss and there are so many hoses I don't know what's what. Any idea what I'm looking for and where? Under the hood by the drivers side firewall is where I looked. Sorry for the double usernames. I was at work and couldn't remember this one at home. So, knuckleslammer is me as well. Mods can delete either one.

Kevin
Unread 01-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
AIRWOLFORD
2002 KJ Liberty 

Jeep Liberty 2002

Kevin,
Vacuum balls tell the air where to go under the dash. Check your main
vacuum line coming from the motor just behind the glove box there will be a Tee in the line where it connects to the operator line for the outside air duct.

Stuart
AIRWOLFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
knuckleslammer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks man, 2 month too late though

I traded in the POFS and bought a Toyota Highlander. There's a reason American auto sales are plummetting and the consumer reports speak for themselves. I with I had checked them before I bought the Jeep and my last Jeep. Jeep sucks and can't make a decent vehicle. I've spent over $2500 in repairs for this 2002 SH*TBOX. Leaky transfer case, busted AC radiator or whatever it's called. Frozen caliper. I DON'T EVEN OFFROAD EITHER. JHFC, Imagine if I did what they do on the commercials? LOFL F- JEEP you guys can have them all to yourselves
Unread 01-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
jeepjeepster

10-4, you seem to be mechanically challenged so its ok. Now go figure out have many yen you just wasted.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
nhcd538
2001 WJ 

Yeah Jeeps certainly aren't for people who can't do maintenance on vehicles. Enjoy your Toyota. If you or your husband need help installing an air freshener or something, look us up.
Unread 01-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #12
x99j

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer
the consumer reports speak for themselves. I with I had checked them before I bought the Jeep and my last Jeep.

obviously you haven't checked on the highlander either!!! link below

what highlander not recommended by consumer reports? fall from grace!!!
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ighlander.html

engine problems? no not in a toyota!
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ta_engine.html

sludge? no can't be? in a highlander?
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir.../.eea225d/5402

people have problems with highlanders? and vent in forums? no can't be?
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

you also forgot to add in the expense of the timing belt replacement on the 3.0L and the 3.3L. yep with water pump and seals over 1000 dollars especially from the dealer.
you are sadly mistaken when you think your days of spending money on auto's is over. i haven't owned one yet that didn't break and that includes my old camrys (not complaining just noting cars aren't free to operate)!

To combat the nickel dime syndrome you might want to 1) take better care of you auto's 2) stop living paycheck to paycheck. (so you can actually afford repairs) why? because repairing an automobile is almost always cheaper than replacing the car with another. good luck with your future. mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.

Last edited by x99j; 01-15-2008 at 09:52 AM..
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #13
79cherokee

Also, you bought a 02. Any vehicle bought in the first year of production seems to have stupid little problems. Seems as if it takes a year to figure out all the little gremlins. I hope your Toyota gives you what your looking for, but I know you will be shocked when it comes time for service and cost of replacement parts. Good Luck.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.