02 liberty 4cyl. 2.4l spark plug location/ Pics are great!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > 02 liberty 4cyl. 2.4l spark plug location/ Pics are great!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
lildube4226
2002 KJ Liberty 

02 liberty 4cyl. 2.4l spark plug location/ Pics are great!!

Hey jeep family/ cyber mechanics,
I have been diagnosing a few current problems with my Liberty. I am throwing an engine code, with the help of some other members I have decided to switch out my spark plugs and start solving the issue from their. Correct me if I am wrong, but this should correct a cylinder misfire in cylinder 4, correct?
That being the case I have no idea where my plugs are, I assume there near the four coils that run off from each cylinder. How do I access these spark plugs? Any tips or information I should know about swapping them? Thanks everyone. All pics + information on this will be an enormous help.
Scott

lildube4226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The 2.4 gasser uses one coil pack and 4 spark plug wires.Just follow the plug wires to the spark plugs.

Don't forget to change the plug wires also when changing the plugs.If there is any oil in the spark plug tubes(oil will be on the wire boots) you need to chnage the valve cover gasket and tube seals,common misfire cause in those types of engines.
Unread 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
lildube4226
2002 KJ Liberty 

I see the four coils and I can pull them off, after I pop the coils off where do I go from here?
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildube4226 View Post
I see the four coils and I can pull them off, after I pop the coils off where do I go from here?
There is only one coil on the 2.4 gas engine.From that one coil are 4 spark plug wires.Follow the wires to the valve cover,pull the plug wires up out of the valve cover and the tubes is where the spark plugs are.
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
lildube4226
2002 KJ Liberty 

is there any links to a diagram of this?
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

The plugs will be right on top, in the center of the valve cover. I strongly suggest, since you are a little inexperienced, you get someone to help you out. Not knowing what you are doing may cause more issues, like a stripped spark plug hole, broken plug in the head, etc. Then you will be in really deep doo doo.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
lildube4226
2002 KJ Liberty 

I appreciate it man thanks alot for the help

Tags
cylinder misfire , help please , ignition coil , spark plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.