Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > Commander > Commander

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Commander Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep Commander Next Jeep

Commander

Email Bookmark Print
Medic001
Cordova

Jeep Information

Year:2008

Engine:V6

Transmission:Automatic

Hi guys. I'm a new member with a problem. My jeep is sitting in the Kroger parking lot because I can't make the key turn. The steering wheel is not locked and I've tried rapping on the key with a closed pocket knife while the key was in the ignition in case it was a tumbler issue.

Recently I've had to wiggle the gear shift when turning off the vehicle to make the key release. Now it is though the key is not being recognized even though all the other features of the remote work, including remote start. It is not a traditional key, but the electronic key/remote combo with the rectangle head.

The ignition bell dings when the key is inserted, but it will not turn.

The Jeep is a 2008 Commander.

I'm very appreciative of any advice you guys may have.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

KoruII
View KoruII's Jeep
01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I had a similar problem once which was resolved by ensuring the vehicle was in park. When it happened to me it was slightly out of park and not engaged. Figured I would just throw that out there.

Medic001
View Medic001's Jeep
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Korull, thanks for answering. Yes, it's in park.

Medic001
View Medic001's Jeep
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
I've recently learned that my fob key ignition does not have tumblers. I guess I should have figured that out on my own.

krissyd
View krissyd's Jeep
02-19-2013, 11:43 PM
I have a 2008 Jeep Commander and had a similar issue. The only that I could do was buy a new key fob, which I did.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.