Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > Liberty > Big Black

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Big Black Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep Liberty Next Jeep

Big Black

Email Bookmark Print

mikes_muse
Biggest Little City

Jeep Information

Year:2005

Model:Liberty Renegade

Engine:3.7 V6

Transmission:42RLE

Transfer Case:NP231

Front Axle:Dana 30 HP with Aussie Locker, Chromo Shafts, Warn Hub Kit

Rear Axle:Chrysler 8.25 with Detroit Locker

Axle Gear Ratio:4.88

Suspension:Custom: Fox Coilover Front, OME 864 Rear

Tires:35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar

Wheels:Mickey Thompson Classic II painted Black

Armor:Custom Flat Belly Skid, Welded In Frame Stiffeners w/ Rock Rails, Rear Rockcrusher Diff Cover, Front Solid Diff Cover

Recovery Gear:Superwinch EPi9.0S

Accessories:Rugged Ridge Seat Covers, Cobra CB w/ Firestik Antenna, CO2 Tank, Gen Right Hood Louvers, Optima Blue Top

Future Modifications:241 T-Case, Alloy Shafts for the Rear Axle,

My Solid Axle Jeep Liberty, Big Black:

All the upgrades I can think of...

Windshield Mounted Garmin GPS
Rear Mounted Fire Extinguisher and Flashlight
Cobra CB with Firestik Antenna
Customized Fabtech Prerunner Front Bumper
Superwinch EPi9.0S 9,000 pound Winch
Custom Rear Bumper with Swing Away Tire Carrier and Hi Lift Mount
Custom Rear Storage Tool Compartment
Rugged Ridge Cargo Seat Covers and Rear Cargo Pockets on Door
10# CO2 Tank On Board Air
Stock Chrysler 8.25 Rear Axle with Clayton Long Arm Axle Truss and 4.88 Gears
RockCrusher Rear Diff Cover Connected to Axle Truss
Detroit Rear Locker
Gen Right Hood Louvers
Custom Roof Rack-Rails
Custom Built In Rock Rail Sliders
Custom Washer Bottle Relocation
Advance Adapters NP231 SYE Kit
Custom Flat Belly Skid Plate
High Pinion Dana 30 out of an XJ with a Solid Diff Cover, JKS Control Arm Skids, 4.88's, Aussie Locker, Warn 5x4.5 Hub Kit, Warn Inner and Outer Chromo Shafts and WJ Knuckle/Brake/Steering Conversion w/ chevy 3/4 ton TRE's and Heavy Duty 1.25x.219 Drilled and Tapped Tie Rod and Drag Link
Rubicon Express LJ Long Arms
Rubicon Express XJ Heavy Duty Front Track Bar
FOX 10" Front Cilovers
Old Man Emu FJ80 864 Rear Springs
Edelbrock 12" Extreme Travel AIS Rear Shocks
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar Tires
15x8 Mickey Thompson Classic II Alloy Wheels Painted Black with 3.25 BS
Custom Front and Rear Driveshafts
Rubicon Express Extended Braided Steel Brake Lines
Optima Blue Top Deep Cycle Battery
Custom Exhaust with Flowmaster Super 44 Off Road Muffler
2" Round Amber LED Turn Signals
Chopped Front Unibody to Match Front Bumper

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

psychojeeper
View psychojeeper's Jeep
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Very nicely done,,,,
this is what I eventually want my Lib to evolve into!
see ya on the trails.
John

liftdKJ05
View liftdKJ05's Jeep
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
nice kj
Very nice, iv been lookin a lot at doin a sas on my 05 as well, kinda curious what youv got tied up in yours if you don't mind me asking

mikes_muse
View mikes_muse's Jeep
09-07-2010, 01:22 AM
I don't have anything tied up in it anymore. I spent around 8K to get the SAS done, including labor and parts. Save your $ and build something with a frame.

liftdKJ05
View liftdKJ05's Jeep
09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks, that's about what I was figuring. Any chance you'd have a parts list still? I wanna build a sfa kj cause there are so few, and none at all in my area and id like to be the first. Lots of people look down on kjs yet they are a very capable jeep, taking me places with just a 3 inch lift and a set of mt baja claws most people wouldn't dare taking their pickup and hardly ever believe it went till I take them.

mikes_muse
View mikes_muse's Jeep
09-07-2010, 05:04 PM
This is going to be a long response but I'll lay it all out there for you.

I thought it would be awesome to build an SFA KJ, the first 05+ Renny body style too, and it turned out great, looked awesome and was one of a kind. After spending that much $ on it though, I could still have gone more places or had a more capable rig in a less built TJ or YJ, AND saved a ton of money. The KJ's unibody is just not designed for solid front axle articulation. If you could lift the KJ 5 inches, then it might be worth it, but as of now, 9 inches is required and that makes a top heavy rig, all that much more ready to roll. A really great wheeling rig has a lot of droop compared to up travel. The KJ is 50/50 at best which is crap compared to what you can get out of a real frame jeep. The KJ is heavy, not as heavy as the new Wranglers, but still heavy and all that weight sucks up power and makes it that much harder to get over obstacles. I prefer a much lighter rig built for wheeling, without a doubt.

And I don't mean to be a jerk but a KJ is not a capable jeep compared to the XJ, TJ, YJ or JK. It just isn't, plain and simple. You may be able to surprise some people, I know I sure did, but that just means you are slightly impressing someone who already had a somewhat negative opinion about the KJ.

I've owned a CJ, 2 YJs, and 2 TJs (about to buy a 3rd), and my KJ, before the SAS, was nowhere near the wheeler my other jeeps were. Lockers always help capability though. I'm not trying to dump on your plans or desires, I am just telling you my personal experiences and what I have done and what I would do in your shoes.

Don't get me wrong, after the SAS, my KJ did things 99.9% of KJ owners wouldn't dream of doing in their rig, so in that sense, it was a MASSIVE improvement over IFS. My big issue was, that with the amount of $ I poured into it, it still didn't get to the point where pouring the same amount into a TJ or YJ would have gotten me.

Also, the KJ will not drive like your jeep does now, not even close. Power loss, and all that height don't make for a more enjoyable ride. Anyone who says different is a liar, an idiot or both. You can definitely use it for a daily driver, I did, but it doesn't make for a good daily driver. You'll enjoy all the attention you get though, because it turns everyone's head. Guys and girls alike.

That said, it is your rig and if you are set on a SFA KJ, go for it. If you have never owned a solid frame jeep that was built up for real off road use, you'll go crazy over how much capability the Libby will have. I just wanted you to know what you are getting into. I have no bias either way, I've owned a bunch of rigs and am giving you my honest opinion before spending a lot of money.

My honest advice is, if you REALLY love your KJ and want to wheel it, get front and rear lockers, 4.10 gears and go to town out there.

My build list is here, but be warned that site sucks. Good luck and let me know of any questions you might have.

liftdKJ05
View liftdKJ05's Jeep
09-07-2010, 05:15 PM
. Thank you for the info and the link, I'm aware that I could have a just as or more capable rig for less going with something like a cj or tj but I want something that's one of a kind and in my area everyone has a lifted cherokee or wrangler but noone has a kj with much more than 3 inches of lift, which is where I'm at now. I do plan on having another rig in the future when this one is done however and I will probably go with a cj7 . Again thanks for the info and offering your help

mikes_muse
View mikes_muse's Jeep
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Sure, no problem. If it is what you want, build it. It was what i wanted and I built it. It wasn't quite what i had hoped in the end, but still a great looking rig, that was pretty darn capable and like you want yours to, it stood out more than pretty much every other rig. Good luck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.