Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > WK Grand Cherokee > Yeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Yeep Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep WK Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Yeep

Email Bookmark Print

Jeebus2000
Loveland

Jeep Information

Year:2005

Model:Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

Engine:5.7 HEMI, 330hp @ 5000, 375lb @ 4000 (when brand new)

Transmission:Stock -- 545RFE, AUTOMATIC MULTI-SPEED Three planetary gear sets, one overrunning clutch, with Electronic Range Select (ERS) driver interactive control, electronically controlled torque converter clutch. Gear ratios: 1st - 3.00 2nd - 1.67 (upshift), 1.50 (kickdown) 3rd - 1.0 4th - 0.75 5th - 0.67 Rev - 3.0 Axle: - 3.73 Final Drive Ratio: 3.73 Overall Top Gear: 2.50

Transfer Case:Stock -- NV245 Two-speed, electronically shifted, 4x4 Low (Lock), Neutral; Full-Time Active 4x4

Front Axle:Stock -- 7.9 in. (200mm) Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) (C200FE)

Rear Axle:Stock -- 8.3 in. (213mm) Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) (C213RE)

Axle Gear Ratio:3.73

Suspension:Stock -- Front Suspension: Short/long independent (SLA), coil springs, gas-charged, twin-tube coil over shock absorbers, upper and lower control arms (“A” arms), stabilizer bar. Rear Suspension: Live axle, link coil-with track bar, gas-charged twin tube shock absorbers, stabilizer bar. Steering: Power rack-and-pinion Overall ratio: 15.8:1 – on center, 13.9:1 at full lock Steering Turns (lock-to-lock): 2.85

Tires:BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A

Wheels:Stock

Armor:Wish I had some

Recovery Gear:Hi-Lift, assorted recovery straps and tie downs

Accessories:K&N CAI, JET 180 degree thermostat, Cobra 75 CB w/ Dual Firestick antennas, Yakima Load Warrior rack, Rigid Industries Dually Flood lights

Future Modifications:Daystar 2" lift, Exhaust (Borla or Gibson), Sway bar disconnects (if I can find some), headers (if I can find some), Spyder Head and Fog lights, ARB Front Bumper with winch mount and bull bar, (more)Trail lights, Wheel/Tire swap to match lift

My 4th Jeep, but first Grand Cherokee. Still learning the differences and specs but loving everything about it.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
08-12-2013, 09:21 PM
There's a lot more I'd like to do. Any hints on anything you've found that works or doesn't work would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
08-17-2013, 02:52 PM
8/17/13 additions
Installed K&N CAI and Jet 180 degree thermostat today(Before and after photos added). I feel a tiny bit less throttle response(more like a quick build up and then bigger release) but for my commute it seems to help. The top end HP though you can really tell a difference and added a nice little growl to the exhaust tone. K&N's instructions could use some help and I ended up modifying the installation a bit. Without doing so the air filter would have been rubbing the box and making a rattle noise all the time. Also, if you get the plastic version, not SS, be careful on how tight you get your hose clamps, especially on the tube bracket.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
09-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Aspen Creek to the Rescue!
I found a great online shopping place for WK's called Aspen Creek Offroad of Colorado http://www.aspencreekoffroad.co/. They had some solutions to multiple install problems I couldn't figure out, but they are also closing their doors really soon so I had to jump on them while I could. So, thanks to them, I have CB antenna mounts, CB power block mount, "windshield" light mounts, and a switch panel on the way. Although these don't do anything for me presently, they will help me progress the projects when I get to them.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
10-03-2013, 03:46 PM
CB Parts ordered
So I got my first useful accessory ordered this week, thanks to a sale from Amazon. Parts now on the way are a Cobra 75WXST 40-Channel CB Radio, Cobra AC 702 4-Foot Microphone Extension Cable, and a FireStik FS4-64A9A-B Four foot dual CB antenna kit (Black). The only things "missing" to complete the installation like I want is the rocker switch to give one extra control step for the radio.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Gear Basket
Found a Yakima Load Warrior gear basket on craigslist for $100. When they sell for $250 on sale at the online places or at the store, I would have to say that it was a good find. Have it mounted it up today.

Jeepforthewin

Lucky Charms!
View Jeepforthewin's Jeep
11-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Make a build thread over in the WK section of JF. You will get a lot of responses from people over in that section as we all have 2005-2010 jeep grand cherokee and commanders

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
12-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Build thread
Thanks for the tip. I def. will once I have actual build process going and hopefully I remember to take photos as I go. As for now, I'll keep building up the parts pile.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
01-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Build thread someday
So I looked into doing a build thread and figured out to do it properly, i need to have 25 posts so I can add photos and such, built in safety for the forum. Fine by me, until I get there, I'll keep adding to this and then do one proper.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
01-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Rack Cans
So I have the Yakima Load Warrior rack and have always wanted to put survival/recovery gear in a bin or box on top in the rack. I knew what I was looking for in a box, but didn't want to spend uber amounts of money on a box (like http://www.quadratec.com/products/12431_1000_07.htm ) and ran across the 81mm mortar fuse can. These cans a re great little box that you can use to store a ton of stuff. Finding one in good shape can be tough though, and sadly I had no choice on mine. I ordered one from Coleman's here http://store.colemans.com/cart/ammo-...-mm-p-225.html Sadly the shipping cost more than the can, but as none of my local surplus stores carry this, I had no choice. After some fix up on the box (bending corners into shape, weather sealing, adding locks) it looks pretty damn good. (pics will be on the build thread later)

Also, I added a 155mm Howitzer tube with a retractable lock to use for MRE's or other gear. I like these, because if you can find some in good shape, they are water/air tight. With a few hose clamps, this mounted easily to the rack.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Hi-Lift
It's not much, but I finally got the Hi-Lift mounted today. Used the Hi-Lift 1"-2" tube mounts instead of the Yakima mounts. This enabled me to put it on the back of the rack so I still have room for both a shovel and ax on either side of the rack later.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
02-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Spark Plugs
It's nothing new or fancy, but changing the spark plugs is a vital duty of any car owner. I had my jeep in for some work and a tune up was suggested. They wanted $80 for plugs and 3.5 hrs of labor time to do it. I thought that was a bit ridiculous, especially since I know how to do it, so I hit up the Autozone next to me and found Champion 570 plugs for $2.09 a piece, and when you need 16 of them, that price break helps a bunch. For under $40, I had brand new plugs and a free afternoon (2 hrs) to replace them all. After the first one, it was obvious this needed to be done (about 20,000 miles ago). The job really isn't that difficult as long as you have a good assortment of tools. Since these plugs are copper, I'll be setting myself a reminder for every 20k to replace them, even if they're not bad, because for $40 every couple years, its worth my time and energy to keep the beast going. Pictures are what came out and it makes one wonder just how it was running so well before, but the difference now with the new plugs is extremely noticeable and I'm looking forward to some good news on my mileage this next fill-up.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
02-24-2014, 08:19 PM
PCV Valve
One more tiny bit of maintenance today, replaced the PCV valve and from the looks of it was worth doing, though I think I could have gotten away with for another 10-15K. Super simple yet a hard part to find. The local part stores don't carry it, only dealerships. Mine wanted $40, thankfully a dealer selling on eBay was letting it go for $28 after shipping. Worth waiting the couple days for the savings.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Just some updated photos
Looking better, but needs the lift and tires soon!

drivenpromise
View drivenpromise's Jeep
03-08-2014, 12:34 AM
I like the mods to your Jeep thus far. Afters years of obsessing over the Jeep brand, I've finally bought my 1st this week! A 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 w/ 5.7 Hemi. I really like that Yakima roof rack you've got. I was looking at one by Smittybilt originally. Seeing yours on your GC, I may have to consider the Yakima brand. Good luck with the remainder of your build and I look forward to following your progress!

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
03-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Kind Words
Thank you drivenpromise, I've always been a Jeep fan, but this is my first non-Wrangler, and I love it. I think you'll find you like yours more and more everyday. If you have any questions about anything I'm doing with mine, feel free to ask.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Easy fishing rod holders
I hate having to break down my fishing rods for every trip out, so I decided having a way to attach them to the rack would be sweet. For more money than I wanted to spend, I could have bought an all in one package that will do the same (about $120/set). Instead, I found the basic parts on Amazon, again, and with some help from the machinist at work, will have two sets of mounting points for $50 and a 6 pack of beer. I bought a pair of American DJ O-clamps 1"-2" ID, about $8/ea including shipping, and (2) sets of Quick Fist rubber clamps, 1"-2.25" ID, about $15/set including shipping. The machinist is making a fancy little bar that these will attach to, making it so I can hold up to 4 rods on top of the rack. This is a great little set-up that can be used for fishing rods, Hi-Lifts, Shovels, an ax, etc. at a pretty reasonable price. When finished it will look similar to the photo attached here.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
04-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Quick Fists
Just a note about the quick fists - they work great, but the 1"-2 1/4" size does not give a snug fit for fishing poles. I'm sure they would work great for shovels and the like, but if you use this idea, I'd recommend getting the 5/8" quick fist. Until the new size comes in though, I found that a 2" long piece of 1" rubber hose sliced open wrapping the pole handle makes it big enough for the fist to get a good, securing grip.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
05-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Some lights, Finally!
I finally convinced myself that staring at the lights in my wish list was doing more harm than good, so I ponied up and bought a pair of Rigid Industries LED lights in a flood pattern. Of course, I needed a way to mount them and thankfully 6 months ago I bought some hood/windshield mounts from Aspen Creek (sadly now closed). This forced me to mount those up. Talk about an easy install. Lights were pretty straight forward, mount light to bracket, mount bracket to mount, run wires, plug in and go. This was made way easier since I had already done my pre-wiring with the fuse block. Red wire to block, black to any ground and they worked. More pics to come when I have the opportunity.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
07-10-2014, 10:11 AM
New (to me) WK shopping website
So I found another site, finally, that sells parts and accessories specifically for the 2005-2010, which as most of us WK owners know there are few. Check out www.4xguard.com and see what you think. I know there are quite a few things on my list from there already that will compliment what I have going already.

Jeebus2000
View Jeebus2000's Jeep
07-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Sad News
Well, time has come that I have no money for any upgrades or accessories for a while. I had such high hopes of getting the lift and new tire/wheel package added by the end of summer, but that looks to be another year off now. I'll keep prowling for sites and add items to my wishlist. It's got to fill up someday, right?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.