Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

help 02 G Cherokee Evap + issues

753 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jbeez 
#1 ·
Hi I purchased (3rd owner) a G Cherokee ltd 02 4.7 v8- It was BEEPing at rear L and had evap po455 po442 when purchased (had sim issue w C Blaze Fill neck hose issue W/O BEEPing, not the same prob.) Prev owner had replaced fill neck thought it might b hose issue, filled It; it over flowed at tank broken plastic fuel pump housing replaced full assembly and got code back 2 days after and 5-6 days after on a cold start in am blew 20amp fuel pump fuse after 30 sec of start/run time. replaced fuse n started fine ,ran fine the rest of day and next even on start up (still beeping) day after that I blew 1-3 20 amp fuses after 30? Sec of cold start run time while LDP beeps clicks like a turn sig n then makes a woosh then starts fine rest of day !(no blown fuses) then next Am same issues etc… for a week n a half now I have an extensive collection of blown 20 amp fuses n even a 30 amp when I ran outa 20s one am. I have replaced purge solenoid n tried swapping relays in PCM no change, traced n checked rubber n hard lines nothing I see but I understand the LDP check will detect a .05mm leak but Im getting a massive leak code. I have stumped everyone ive spoken to including the service dep at the stealership if they can be trusted (he offered many hours n days of intensive investigation to resolve my issue! I declined) The next best test seems to be an EELD Evap Emiss Leak Detect test to find leak in Evap but Im questioning if I may have gotten a bad fuel pump assembly OOB ? the only test I see is fuel send unit done outa tantk adjusting float for resistance on a DMM. IM stuck n wud appreciate any helpful input!

See less See more
#2 ·
Please clarify a few items

1) What is "BEEPing ar rear L" mean? Sound? Is "BEEP" an acryonm? Are you referring to overhead console beeping?

2) Will your car run without replacing the 20A fuses?

3) Don't replace any more fuses? After 2 blown fuses you must realize you have an electrical short that needs to be dealt with. You are taking your chances on creating a fire. You're driving a Jeep. Don't turn it into a barbeque!

4) Did you remove the rear bumber facia and drivers side rear plastic fender shield? The pressurization pump is back there and a frequent source of the 0455 code is a cracked elbow hose. See the pictures below.

5) If previous owners of the vehicle were mucking about with the fuel tank and lines it is possible the power line going to the purge pump, or whatever else is on the same circuit that blows the fuse, has been pinched or the insulation is chafing through causing an intermitten short. Solve this problem first before you die in a fire!

Good luck.

#3 ·
These pics are from an '04.

These pics are from an '04 Overland, drivers rear side, with bumper skin removed. There are several screws that one has to loosen enough to get the assembly to sort of slide and pivot down to allow access. Mine were really rusty and the outside screw head twisted off. NOTE: This is not a place to use a torch to remove the fastener. Work it out as best you can with penetrating oil and hope for the best.

The split hose attaches to the top of the evap canister, both circled in red.

The drawing is what is shown in the photos

Attachments

#4 ·
Tubegauge said:
These pics are from an '04 Overland, drivers rear side, with bumper skin removed. There are several screws that one has to loosen enough to get the assembly to sort of slide and pivot down to allow access. Mine were really rusty and the outside screw head twisted off. NOTE: This is not a place to use a torch to remove the fastener. Work it out as best you can with penetrating oil and hope for the best. The split hose attaches to the top of the evap canister, both circled in red. The drawing is what is shown in the photos
I've snapped that bolt before... That whole bracket is just one big rust magnet. Ended up replacing it few a few weeks ago.

Attachments

#5 ·
Ended up replacing it few a few weeks ago.
Where'd you get your new bracket from? Did you replace that crappy little brace also? I think mines is almost as bad as yours was.

#6 ·
I have those same codes, but haven't taken the bumper off since my tools were stolen from the back of the Jeep (thanks to my faulty window motor). Will the cracked hose cause poor fuel economy? I've dropped to about 11mpg from around 16.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
coolhand said:
Where'd you get your new bracket from? Did you replace that crappy little brace also? I think mines is almost as bad as yours was.
I ordered it from Kolak. It didn't come with the Christmas tree connectors for the vent hose or the little brace, so you have to swap those over.

I had drilled and tapped the vehicle side brace nut a while ago. When I was replacing the bracket I broke the bolt on the other end of the brace. Since it was off the jeep and well away from the things that react violently to heat, I put a torch to it and got the rest of the bolt out with vice grips. The brace was sound, so I hit with a roloc wheel to remove the rust and put on a few coats of paint.

Attachments

#8 ·
Thanks
One more item to add to the Kolak list. lol!
My brace is list tinfoil thin and also has a broken bolt in it. Maybe Kolak can get that for me also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.