Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > WJ Grand Cherokee > Grand Cherokee

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Grand Cherokee Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Grand Cherokee

Email Bookmark Print
enduro250cc
Spanaway

Jeep Information

Year:1999

Model:WJ

Engine:4.7

Transmission:Quadra Drive, Automatic 4 speed

Transfer Case:Unknown

Front Axle:Unknown

Rear Axle:Unknown

Axle Gear Ratio:Unknown

Suspension:Lifted, Unknown

Tires:LT 285/75R16

Wheels:Bead Lockers

Armor:Unknown

Recovery Gear:Non

Accessories:HID Head Lights, Front Brush Gaurd, Fog Lights

Future Modifications:Stablize steering, define rear growl

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

enduro250cc
View enduro250cc's Jeep
10-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Rear End Growl
I just bought a lifted 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a serious lift and 33in tires (LT285/75R16) I had to put in $1400 in front end work to stabilize my steering, it kept shooting me into the ditch or what ever direction I was steering when I turned the wheel sharp in that direction.

My question is, at slow turning speeds 1 to 2 miles and hour, I'm getting a sound from my rear end that sounds like mud flaps rubbing on the tires nobby's. But there is no tire rub on anything? It's a low growl, that I'm thinking is coming from my rear gear box but not sure. It only happens when I'm turning, left or right. When I'm driving straight, no sound at all.

wjtank21
View wjtank21's Jeep
10-23-2012, 03:32 AM
U joint! Maybe

StoopidWJ2000
View StoopidWJ2000's Jeep
11-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I would be willing to bet that sound is your differential/s. When was the fluid changed last? I would suggest changing the fluid in which ever diff you think the noise is coming from. What axles do you have? I'd be willing to bet the rear is a Dana 44. If that's the case you MUST add the friction modifier to the gear oil! This can only be purchased from your dealer. I get it from my stealership for $10.50 a bottle. That should kill the noise you are hearing.

cleptich
View cleptich's Jeep
12-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I did get my fluid changed again and wouldn't you know the sound went away. You definitely need the limited slip additive. What I had learned is the mechanic before only thought he added the additive. Major pain because when you ask point blank about the additive and he says that he added it then you belief him. After changing the oil and about a 100 miles things are getting back to normal.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.