Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > WJ Grand Cherokee > Diamond in the Rough

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Diamond in the Rough Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Diamond in the Rough

Email Bookmark Print
onionknight
Muskegon

Jeep Information

Year:2001

Model:WJ

Engine:4.7L V8 Powertech

Transmission:545RFE

Transfer Case:NV247

Front Axle:Dana 30/186MM Vari-Lok Front Axle

Rear Axle:Dana 44/226MM Vari-Lok Rear Axle

Axle Gear Ratio:3.73

Suspension:stock (save for a Moog SS);

Tires:P235/65R17

Wheels:17" Rogue Chrome wheels

Armor:none... yet.

Recovery Gear:none... yet.

Accessories:Class IV tow package; 10 Disc CD changer (currently empty); 7 additional gallons of gas (lol);

Future Modifications:4" RC X-Series lift; 255/75/17 tires; Kolak exhaust (and ignition?); Front bumper hidden winch mod; tierod flip mod;

Irony aplenty with this Diamond in the Rough.
Ironically enough, I started looking at a Land Rover Discovery that was for sale down the road. Research said the only comparable vehicles were Jeep Grand Cherokee's and some Toyota. I began lurking on the forums for a few months, consulted the WJ buyer's guide and many threads, and eventually started looking at various WJs over the course of 6-8 months.
One Saturday, cash in hand, I went with a buddy (certified Chrysler tech; despite all I'd learned, I had one shot at getting a decent vehicle and wasn't taking any chances!) down towards Lowell, MI, to check out a couple WJs. We swung through Ionia to check out a couple more.
Rather unsatisfied with what we found (one guy insisted on 3500 for his beat up rusted Laredo, caked in dirt, he'd traded a mustang for it, K&N intake wasn't even bolted on, oil was bone dry, interior was terrible), we decided to detour through Grand Rapids on our way back north, just in case we happened to see something sitting by the side of the road.
Not quite. She was on a lot, but there she sat. Having noticed her, we swung in to check it out, and noticed 3 other WJs on the lot. This one though, she was a Limited, V8, Quadra-Drive. LOADED with options. Every fluid, every electronic, everything checked out.
I drove away with her that day, for $2800. Clean, rust free (MI vehicle!), every option, everything working. Despite her high miles, despite the 4.7L, and despite the fact it's a (gasp!) WJ, it runs flawlessly. almost 200k original miles on the odometer, and not a clunk, groan, grind, ding, sputter, or single uncanny sound otehr than that V8 growl is uttered. The single previous owner had taken care of this Jeep. I've beat on it a little bit, but it's time this mall queen earned her stripes (figuratively and literally).
A Diamond in the Rough.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

KJHWJ37
View KJHWJ37's Jeep
03-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Quadradrives suck balls

onionknight
View onionknight's Jeep
03-24-2013, 01:41 AM
I like it, it's already got me through some stuff I definitely shouldn't have (crappy navigator ended up taking me on some snowmobile trails in bone stock bald tires).

Someday, when it fails, I'll simply swap in the 242.

doc8669
View doc8669's Jeep
04-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Diamond in the rough for sure. Just bought a 2002 wj overland and can't wait to start beefing it up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.