Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > ZJ Grand Cherokee > Rumble

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Rumble Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Rumble

Email Bookmark Print
DawnC
Nyssa

Jeep Information

Year:1997

Model:GRAND CHEROKEE LAREDO ZJ

Engine:5.2 V-8

I am having a lot of issues with my jeep. First heater problems, electrical issues and now lights flickering. If anyone could give me any suggestions that would be helpful.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

droopy199
View droopy199's Jeep
01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
What year jeep is it. And do you still have issues with the heater?

droopy199
View droopy199's Jeep
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
I have a 98 grand cherokee and my heater had problems getting power to the blower motor. I ended up running my heater blower right from my battery to toggle switches. Its pretty simple. The only problem is it only blows on high

DawnC
View DawnC's Jeep
01-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy199
What year jeep is it. And do you still have issues with the heater?
it's a 97 grand cherokee laredo v8 5.2 liter

droopy199
View droopy199's Jeep
01-15-2014, 06:42 AM
I have a 98 grand cherokee laredo. Is you heater working now?

DawnC
View DawnC's Jeep
01-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Quote:
I have a 98 grand cherokee laredo. Is you heater working now?
No

droopy199
View droopy199's Jeep
01-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Did you check fuses and relays?

DawnC
View DawnC's Jeep
01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Did you check fuses and relays?
fuses but no relays. I found a big black with tan stripe that goes to the controls that had melted inside the connector. So I tried to bypass that wire on connector and just hook them together, but still don't work. But that wire coming from behind the heater blower motor if I hook it to the frame it turns the defrost on high but nothing else. So know what to do.

knorman64
View knorman64's Jeep
01-26-2014, 10:39 PM
Rumble
Hi Dawn,
Blower motor resistor issue are posted quite often on these sites. I read a lot of trouble shooting advice but rarely do I read about the cause to the heater issues.
First does your vehicle have the "auto temperature control \" heating system? If so you'll likely have either a burnt wire going to the heater control module, Heater resistor, the blower working only on hi or will still be on after you turn your vehicle off albeit the blower spinning very slowly.
here are a lot of fixes out there but here is the cause of the blower motor resistor burning out, melted wiring and functioning on high only and/or blower motor still slowly spinning after you turn off the ignition.
1) Most heater blower motors still work good but they do, after they are older, start to have to much drag causing a larger draw of voltage on the system
2) this causes the system to heat up, the resistor to get hot, melt the wiring and/or cause the resistor to go haywire on you.
3) once the resistor on the auto temp control system blows a diode during the aforementioned scenario this will cause voltage to bleed back through the resistor causing the blower to always be on and eventually drain the battery.
4) How to fix this?
a) first replace the blower motor about 60.00 for the blower
b) Have the resistor replaced Salvage yard 20.00 Parts store 160.00
c) As for the wiring you can have this replaced with these same gauge of wiring spliced in to repair the melted or burnt wiring caused by to much draw from worn out but still functioning blower motor.
There are quite a few posts on how to do this yourself on this website or you can take your rig to a trusted shop and have them do this for you.
Remember all of these issues are caused by a still functioning blower motor that is drawing more voltage than the system can handle

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.