Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > ZJ Grand Cherokee > Broken Drivers Door

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Broken Drivers Door Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee Next Jeep

Broken Drivers Door

Email Bookmark Print
neilv1
new bedford

Jeep Information

Year:1997

Model:Grand Cherokee Limited WJ

Engine:5.2 V-8

Hey, I am brand new looking for some help. I have owned my 97 Grand Cherokee v-8 since it was two years old. Still runs awesome but just ran into a problem that I could seriously use help with. The other day while getting into the Cherokee I tried to close the drivers door and it just kept bouncing back open. Upon checking it out well, I see that the steel part of the door that hold the mounting screws for the latching mechanism have actually broken and torn and the mechanism is almost now loose inside the door. I can get it to stay closed for the life of me and have been looking around for a drivers door an cannot find one. Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket plate for this problem and what is it called? Is it something that has to be welded in or can it be drilled and screwed in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

jessiellover
View jessiellover's Jeep
10-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Pictures would be beneficial.

DocRoberts
View DocRoberts's Jeep
11-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilv1
Hey, I am brand new looking for some help. I have owned my 97 Grand Cherokee v-8 since it was two years old. Still runs awesome but just ran into a problem that I could seriously use help with. The other day while getting into the Cherokee I tried to close the drivers door and it just kept bouncing back open. Upon checking it out well, I see that the steel part of the door that hold the mounting screws for the latching mechanism have actually broken and torn and the mechanism is almost now loose inside the door. I can get it to stay closed for the life of me and have been looking around for a drivers door an cannot find one. Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket plate for this problem and what is it called? Is it something that has to be welded in or can it be drilled and screwed in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi,
I had the same problem on my '98 and have seen it on five or six ZJ since. The first thing you need to do is replace the hinge pins and bushing. The bushing have worn out and the lock doesn't line up like it should. Any auto parts store carries the kit. There are full instructions on this forum to do the job. I used a small steel plate on the lower two bolts of the latch to shore up the lock. You will need to cut down the shoulders of the bolts to get them to fit thru the plate, but it works like a charm. My email is chopperrob68@gmail. I can send you a photo if you need one
Rob

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.