post #1 of Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

fender rub

Hi I've got a decently modified 98xj that started out bone stock.. I've added a 4 1/2" rough country x-flex lift. 32x11.5R15 tires and american racing wheels. I've built my own front bumper with brush bar and am working on a dual reciever setup for front and rear as well as spare carrier. Has anyone run into this problem. My fenders are cut back 3" in front and 2 1/4 in the back. The rear axle tucks nicely with no interferance. The front on the other hand still rubs... on the INNER fender well "bump" where the air cleaner sits when I turn hard right and fully articulate the wheel into the fender. Is this because I'm running bfg a/t's which seem to have more of a square tread or do I just need to get out the old sledge and knock that back a bit? My buddy has a 90xj and there's no interferance on his? Is this bump really needed? Anyone run into this before.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_1343700615943.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	443606  
post #2 of Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 AM
CherokeeJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJNEPA
Hi I've got a decently modified 98xj that started out bone stock.. I've added a 4 1/2" rough country x-flex lift. 32x11.5R15 tires and american racing wheels. I've built my own front bumper with brush bar and am working on a dual reciever setup for front and rear as well as spare carrier. Has anyone run into this problem. My fenders are cut back 3" in front and 2 1/4 in the back. The rear axle tucks nicely with no interferance. The front on the other hand still rubs... on the INNER fender well "bump" where the air cleaner sits when I turn hard right and fully articulate the wheel into the fender. Is this because I'm running bfg a/t's which seem to have more of a square tread or do I just need to get out the old sledge and knock that back a bit? My buddy has a 90xj and there's no interferance on his? Is this bump really needed? Anyone run into this before.
**** dude I cut mine go for it then I just beat it with a sledge I run 33s n mine don't rub
post #3 of Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Ptreaster
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What back spacing do you have on your wheels?
post #4 of Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 AM
CherokeeJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptreaster
What back spacing do you have on your wheels?
What do you mean
post #5 of Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Ptreaster
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The distance from the back of the wheel (where it mounts to the hub) to where the inside bead of the tire mounts to the wheel, this measurement should be 3.75 inches . Without the proper backspacing your tires maybe too far under your jeep (or too far out from your jeep) this could be why your rubbing
post #6 of Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

No its backspaced properly... I tired switching my tires around and put the lower tread on the front and now it doesn't do it as much... my buddy who has been building jeeps for awhile now says my problem is my lower control arms are straight not bent which is causing my rear to be pushed foward and up instead of just up when its flexed up in... seems he may be right. Wish that rough country told me that BEFORE I bought the kit... I would have went with the longarm instead... ugh. My quick fix is to hit the inner fender in lol. I don't think I'm hurting much.
post #7 of Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

Cherokeejohn what lift are you running? Long or short arm?
post #8 of Old 08-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Ptreaster
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When you did the lift did also extend your front bump stops?
post #9 of Old 08-06-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

No but nothing hits unless my wheels are turned hard
post #10 of Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

It only rubs on hard rights when my axle is flexed up
post #11 of Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
CherokeeJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98XJNEPA
Cherokeejohn what lift are you running? Long or short arm?
Short arm
post #12 of Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
98XJNEPA

Yea this rig is getting updated to long arm soon. All the guys I run with have longarms and they don't have the clearance issues I have... the axle rides straight up and down.. short arm kits are like stock where it moves slightly forward and backward with the vertical movement of the axle.. boo