Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > XJ Cherokee > Cherokee

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Cherokee Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep XJ Cherokee Next Jeep

Cherokee

Email Bookmark Print
kogafortwo
Hanahan

Jeep Information

Year:1997

Model:Sport

Engine:4.0L

Transmission:5 speed

Suspension:stock - for now

Wheels:stock aluminum

Future Modifications:leveling & lift kit

Long time lurker, first time joiner. I have 2 Cherokees:

1996 Country, all stock, in pretty good shape, that my daughter drives daily.

1997 Sport, all stock, 4x4, 2 door, 5 speed, just bought it for my son and me to fix up together and it will be his daily driver when he turns 16. I wanted both my kids to learn to drive stick so I needed a low-cost option to add to the family fleet.

First question: the 1997 sits low on the back, springs are sagging a little. I want to get new rear springs, shackles, and bolts and level it out. I also would not mind lifting it very conservatively, maybe an inch all around and leveled.

Any recommendation on kits, brand names, installation tricks? I am a good home mechanic and have done plenty of engine and some chassis work in the past on non-Jeep vehicles, so the job doesn't scare me.
I saw some kits from SD Truck Springs that look pretty good, but it seems like there are so many out there. I don't want to go Add-a-leaf, the old springs and shackles are so beat and rusty they aren't worth saving.

Also: if I left it about 3.4" to 1", and I keep the stock rims, what are the biggest tires I can put on the rims that will fit and ride OK? We won't do much off roading, mostly just around town.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

Bacon91XJ
View Bacon91XJ's Jeep
04-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Pretty sure if you find an upcountry from the salvage they had about 1" over stock springs. Or you could spacer and shackle it pretty inexpensivly.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.