I bought this 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4 in late January of 2010 for $2500. The Jeep is from North Carolina so no rust which is great. Everyone is jealous of just that, being here in New York.
So this is the list of everything that will go into the build.
-[s]JET Stage 1 Chip[/s]
-[s]8" Long Arm Suspension Lift[/s]
-[s]Slip Yoke Eliminator and Driveshaft[/s]
-[s]Ford 8.8" Rear Axle[/s]
-[s]Rear Auburn ECTED Locker[/s]
-[s]Front Eaton E-Locker[/s]
-[s]Chrome Moly Axle Shafts[/s]
First thing I did was put on my OR-FAB rear bumper. I did not take any pics during the process of this. But It wasn't too complicated to put on. It was mostly a bolt on, with a little bit of hacking away with the sawz all.
This first picture shows the bumper before.
This is the bumper completed. Looks pretty awesome.
The next day my front bumper came in. This was pretty much a bolt on as well, but I did have to do a little bit of grinding. As some of the holes in the frame did not line up with each other. Not too difficult though.
Before it had a Reese hitch on the front, which I will eventually try to fabricate up for the back.
After. I did not like the way the winch mounts on the plate so I drilled different holes in part of the plate.
Another view of the front bumper.
I also have installed the JET Stage 1 Performance Chip. This was not all to difficult to do. Just plug it in. It improved my fuel economy a lot though. Very happy with the product as I should gain my money back in just a few fill ups.
JET Stage 1 Chip
Today I went up to AVL Recycling in Ontario, NY and picked up a Ford 8.8 out of a 2001 Ford Explorer. It has 31 spline axles, 4.10 ratios, posi, and disc brakes. I will be re-gearing the axle to 4.56. I will also be putting in Auburn ECTED Locker. I need a flange to yoke adapter, need to weld new spring perches and shock tabs as well. A heavy duty differential cover with a drain plug and countersunk holes would be nice on it too. More to come on the rear axle soon.
Not in too bad of shape.
A close up view of the axle. It's a little rusted, but I'm sure it will look almost like brand new when I am done with it.
Today I actually got around to wiring up the winch. What a pain let me tell you. There was not much room to work down in there. Once I finally got all the wires on the proper terminals, I ran into another problem that the control box would not fit. I guess that is what I get for making my own mounting holes for the winch, but I am pretty sure the control box would not have worked with the winch in the original mounting holes either. But with some time and patience I got the control box squeezed in there. It is a tight fit and I think it looks nice down there, also out of the way.
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch
Today I started to get the Ford 8.8 torn apart. I didn't make very much progress, but I got the cover off. Also got the brake calipers unbolted. Still waiting on parts for the rear axle.
With the cover off.
Ruff Stuff Specialties Differential Cover
3/8" thick with fill and drain holes, also countersunk bolt holes.