Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > XJ Cherokee > 4.0 Pulling head, interference?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

4.0 Pulling head, interference? Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep XJ Cherokee Next Jeep

4.0 Pulling head, interference?

Email Bookmark Print
Rootesracer
CO

Jeep Information

Year:1994

Model:Cherokee XJ

Engine:4.0

Sorry to ask what may well be a common question, but I did do a search and did'nt find an answer.

Question is:
On a 94 Cherokee SE (typical XJ) with the 4.0 engine, it looks to me that some sheetmetal on the firewall will interfere with pulling the cylinder head off.
Specifically the drip edge sheetmetal looks directly above the rear of the head if I were to pull it straight up.

Is this the case or am I fooling myself?

It looks like I have a cracked head and would like to repair it myself.

Thx in advance.

Tags
interference , pulling cylinder head

Login Or Register To Post Comments

nitecop
View nitecop's Jeep
05-05-2010, 01:25 PM
That should not be a problem. Unless some one has replaced your head bolts with studs and nuts the head only has to come straight up about 3/8ths of an inch (to clear the locating rings)
Just make sure to remove all the rocker arms and pushrods before you lift the head.

Rootesracer
View Rootesracer's Jeep
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Thx for that info, the head has never been off and it does have studs on several locations, which hold the injector wiring.

I presume then that removal of all studs will get me to where I can get the head off without much vertical movement.

Please describe the location and method of the locating rings.

I have never torn into a jeep engine so I cant picture it.

Thx again.

nitecop
View nitecop's Jeep
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM
What looks like studs are really just bolts.
THat is just so the factory has a place to hang the injector harness.

Rootesracer
View Rootesracer's Jeep
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Well thx a bunch Nitecop.

Those bolts sure do look like studs but even so I guess even the studs could be pulled prior to lifting.

Any guidance on the alignment rings?
This detail doesnt seem to show on head face photos.

nitecop
View nitecop's Jeep
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
There is 2 of these rings If i recall correctly one at the back and one around Cyl #2. they actully go around 2 of the head bolt holes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.