ZJ water on passenger side (not clogged drain)? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > ZJ water on passenger side (not clogged drain)?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
DW2296
1995 ZJ 

ZJ water on passenger side (not clogged drain)?

My 1995 Grand Cherokee has been leaking water under the carpet on the passenger side. I just completely removed the dash and took out the HVAC box. Both the heater core and evaporator core were replaced, along with all foam on blend doors, seals, and gaskets. The A/C drain was clear, and as an added measure I attached a downward-turning rubber hose tightly to the end of the A/C drain to ensure that water would not leak into the cab from it. Seals in the firewall for the heater core pipes, evaporator pipes, and A/C drain tube were all replaced with new ones. However, I just checked under the carpet and there is still water!! The A/C is not even connected yet (pipes still not put together) and the system therefore isn't charged yet either, so no way it can be the A/C. Yesterday I ran the heater for a few minutes to test it out, but not sure how that could be the problem. New core and the connections are all good, so that can't be leaking. I just don't even know where the water is coming from. The water in my coolant box is bubbling over and is always running low, so I am always replacing it, but I don't know how that could make its way into the passenger side of the cab. Water's just coming out of nowhere.....any help greatly appreciated!

DW2296 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

on my wifes 96 the water is coming in through the cowl when it rains
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
DW2296
1995 ZJ 

Ran it some more, and more water. It hasn't rained here for a while now. I feel like it's from the coolant box somehow. I keep filling it with water because of how fast it's disappearing, so it's not like it would be coolant on the floor, it would just be water right?. Still don't know how that water would make its way through the firewall and into the cab though.
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
1320yj

On some vehicles the outside of the evaporator case will sweat and drip on the floor especially in high humidity situations, as far as I know there is no known cure.
Unread 07-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
hansao

Your drip hose is clogged. If it happens when you run you ac then under the dash on your passenger side, disconnect the drip hose and blow compressed air through each line. This should fix your problem.
hansao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
Jbat

Is this it here ?

image-1989611979.jpg
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
hansao

That is a bad picture. There should be a hose running almost underneath your dashboard. Mine had a couple clips you could remove and pull it apart and then just blow it out with an air hose.
hansao is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
Jbat

I'm just not seeing any hoses. Do I need to remove the dash, or any other plastics? is it on the passenger or driver side? Under the glove box? Or under the hood by the AC condenser? I'm feelin kinda stupid here, but I'm just not seein it
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
DW2296
1995 ZJ 

Jbat, the picture you have there is of the hose that connects to the blower motor/fan assembly. If that was clogged with something, I doubt it would cause any leaking. But there's also a hose under the dash real close to the transmission tunnel (still passenger side) that runs under the actuator for the heat blend door. You may have to pull back the carpet to see it. Through my experience of completely disassembling the dash and HVAC box (twice), that hose is nothing but a breather hose. On the inside, the opening is on the other side of the heat blend door as the heater core and it is in an elevated position as compared to the A/C evaporator drain location (and the hole even has an upward lip on the inside). I don't think it's meant to drain anything, and in fact it leads straight up into the dash to nowhere (really). The only place a leak can really happen is if: 1. Your A/C drain is clogged, an easy fix, 2. If there was a crack in the black HVAC housing somewhere close to the drain, and 3. If you either had a bad heater core leak that was overflowing and traveling to the back vents or emptying through other holes like for the blend door axle and such.
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Jbat

I'm sure it must be the AC drain plug, that is clogged. Is that also under the dash, or in front of the firewall
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #11
Jbat

Ok I found a video on YouTube showing that you want to drill a 1/4 in hole to blow out the drain. Does that sound right
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #12
DW2296
1995 ZJ 

Yeah, if that's what's clogged then it should fix it. Also, the seal between the plastic drain part and the firewall in my jeep was pretty broken up...so I reckon that it's pretty possible water was flowing back into the cab when I was driving (especially since it was leaking and my drain wasn't clogged). I installed a rubber hose that drooped down on the end of the plastic drain stub, and created a new seal. Of course, the whole air box needs to be removed for that stuff unless you want to cut a hole in the sheet metal in the wheel well just to put the hose on. Worst case scenario (if it still leaks after doing the unclog thing) you could probably caulk around where the drain meets the firewall to seal it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.