Your after market bumper rusting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Your after market bumper rusting?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
joecatch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Your after market bumper rusting?

Trying to decide on a new bumper for my 2012 JK 2 door. I was set to get a Warn when I heard about rust problems that a few people are having when they get to be a year or two old.

I called Quadratec and they said they are not aware of any problems and that they shouldn't rust (unless scratched or damaged of course).

So you guys who have after market bumpers, especially from Warn, have you seen any rust after a year or so of use?

What about spraying clear cost over it before installing to protect it? Thanks.

joecatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

if it's powder coated, i can understand the rust issue. i've had powder coated pieces rust here because rocks chip it and then the winter salt/sand and water get in there and start to rust under the powder coating. i don't do powder coating at all anymore. i understand there are new formulas for it now, but still don't get it on anything.
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Warn is a supposed to be producing a higher end product, they definitely charge you for one. A little rust from them is not acceptable. A little rust on a smittybilt lower end product would be different.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got rust on a rear Warn bumper, a few spots. Won't ever buy Warn again
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

steel rusts? oh snap
Unread 04-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
Warn is a supposed to be producing a higher end product, they definitely charge you for one. A little rust from them is not acceptable. A little rust on a smittybilt lower end product would be different.
Steel is steel. I don't see your point.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Well, I had custom bumpers made. And they rusted too. Look at this! A small scratch an the rust is already setting in.

The aftermarket rock sliders are not immune either:

You can see both new and old scratches. Look at the old! They have rusted.

THe back bumper seems to have done a little better.

But I think it is the same steel stock as the front.

Just havin' some fun with you guys.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Steel is steel. I don't see your point.
I bought a 200 dollar Olympic bumper on in 2001. It hasn't rusted. I still have the stock bumper on front. It hasn’t rusted.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
if it's powder coated, i can understand the rust issue. i've had powder coated pieces rust here because rocks chip it and then the winter salt/sand and water get in there and start to rust under the powder coating. i don't do powder coating at all anymore. i understand there are new formulas for it now, but still don't get it on anything.
My experience as well. I had the powder coating chip, flake off and rust on my first aftermarket rear bumper and rocker guards. I even had the rockers redone and it lasted longer but STILL chipped. 2 years later it's starting to chip again around the bolts that go into the tub.

Now I just hit the powder coating that's chipped with Rustoleum and call it a day. I'm always repainting stuff that's chipped off in general. Once a year, in the spring, when I rotate the tires, I get underneath and paint everything that has rust or could have rust. Just did it last weekend. It's a ritual and helps keep the rust at bay.

It's a real battle with the winter salt, not to mention that I'm 5 miles from the ocean so the rust is a real problem.

I recently had my rear bumper/tire carrier (which had powder coating that was flacking/chipping off) replaced with a Hyline rear bumper that came painted from the factory. Still looks great after the nasty winter we just went through. Ironically, my stock front bumper still looks great! No rust,..nothing. Go figure.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Been driving my transplanted Jeep from Florida(rust free) for two Minnesota winters now. I use Fluid Film on the underside, bumpers, winch line and have zero rust. treat it twice a year. Plus, it cleans off nicely with a pressure washer when I need to work on something.
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrachi View Post
Been driving my transplanted Jeep from Florida(rust free) for two Minnesota winters now. I use Fluid Film on the underside, bumpers, winch line and have zero rust. treat it twice a year. Plus, it cleans off nicely with a pressure washer when I need to work on something.
I wish I'd known about this 9 years ago! The reviews back up what you say. I have to order some stuff from Amazon and will pick up a few cans and try it. Jeep is nice and clean now so it would be a good time to try it. I'd love to stop the rust on the rockers before it gets bad and I will have to shell put the bucks to redo them. Painting over them just slows it down. Same with my skids..It would be nice to at least stop it from getting worse.

My poor Ford van is beyond help. The rear quarter panels are just rotting out but I plan to sell it in a few years. The rust in this area with being near the ocean and all the salt spray they put on the roads is horrible. It's not even safe to drink the water. I can't wait to get out of NJ. A few more years..

Quote:
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Unread 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
danielatc4w

Guys anything steel not properly protected/coated/painted is going to rust. It doesnt matter if its WARN, Smittybuilt or a M1 ABRAMS Tank. If you get a chip or big scratch take care of it. If not its going to eventually rust.
danielatc4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielatc4w View Post
Guys anything steel not properly protected/coated/painted is going to rust. It doesnt matter if its WARN, Smittybuilt or a M1 ABRAMS Tank. If you get a chip or big scratch take care of it. If not its going to eventually rust.
very true of course. the problem is with powdercoating, you may not see the rust under the coating until it starts to bubble and flake off. a small rock chip or scratch can be covered up with the right paint, but unless you've caught it immediately, the rust has already started to spread and you can't see it.
at least that was my experience.

Last edited by strvger01; 04-15-2014 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: corrected to "powder coating"
strvger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
very true of course. the problem is with undercoating, you may not see the rust under the coating until it starts to bubble and flake off. a small rock chip or scratch can be covered up with the right paint, but unless you've caught it immediately, the rust has already started to spread and you can't see it.
at least that was my experience.
Same here! A lot of the rust problems I've had, especially with powdercoated pieces, isn't caused by a chip or scratch but it starts underneath and bubbles up, then it's a mess and a constant battle. In the end, the rust always wins. It eats away at the metal and paint slowly over time, like a cancer.

I'm definitely going to try that Fluid Film stuff to at least slow it down. I'm planning to head out to the Rockies in a few years so it's always going to have to deal with snow, salt, etc, in some form and I want to keep this Jeep looking good because it's the last vehicle I plan to own for the foreseeable future.

Quote:
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #15
jimh989
2002 WJ 

I bought a used ARB for my wj. It was rusted threw in places so I fixed everything and took it to be sand blasted along with a set if used sliders. I coated everything with 3 coats of POR 15 then used etching primer and added two coats of that with 3 coats of enamel paint. I did everything the right way at a premium cost and it didn't even last one winter.
I got it all done last fall and this spring I see rust all over. Nothing, no mater what they clame will stop the rust.
My best advice if your redoing anything.... Save your money, just get rust whatever paint.
jimh989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.