York Onboard Air - One More Time!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

York Onboard Air - One More Time!!

I know there are about 20 threads on this but they are very old, like my York.

My addition is that I did not do the oil gallery mod (thread and insert a set screw) and after a decade of use mine had about 2oz of oil left in it. Yes I took it out and measured it. Good or bad, that's the news in case you have one and have not done that mod.

I have now done the set screw and am doing a whole bunch more to boot, just seeing how much of a better job I can do now that am old and calm and you dirty bast$@ds showing up my efforts... I will do better.

I am very pleased with how the oil channel mod went and look forward to the rest. Something I found different with my 210 was that I needed a 5/8 NC bolt to remove the drive pulley when everything I read said 1/2" NC. Luckily I had chucked the whole compressor into a tool carry to take to the bolt shop, just to be safe so all it did was solicit a "WTF?" rather than a string of obscenities and a trip home and back.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-30-2016, 07:10 AM
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

As I understand it, that gallery screw thing is not necessarily to help keep oil in the compressor, it's to help keep the oil out of the air line and tires. I just did another thing recently that helped this a LOT. The York gets the oil really hot, so it vaporizes quite a bit, which makes it harder for the oil separator we add to be effective, resulting in oil in the air up lines and the tires.

Before... all my plumbing was in the front, within 2' of the compressor, with only a single air line running to the back to my 2.5 gal buffer tank (above the rear axle).

After... I ran a 2nd line to the back air tank directly from the York, so the output of the York had to first go all the way back to the tank, then all the way back up front to get to my normal plumbing (2' became 20'). The air cools down a lot in the 20' travel and through the air tank and the separator now works fine, minimal if any oil in the output air line to the tires.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for New Mexico 4 Wheelers My Truck Page on NM4W Site
post #3 of 6 Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Oil in line is good, keeps the tools lubed up. Lol

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697
www.hillsangels4x4.com
post #4 of 6 Old 01-30-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I figure the missing 8oz of oil is probably in two sets of tires, lines and blasted into my tools. Also assuming that my plan to mount my tank in the engine bay would not be a good one. It has been in back, on the left wheel well in a converted fire extinguisher bottle. I am redoing all the lines so my air tools work better.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 PM
redjeepguy1

Is there a thread or how-to tutorial on this oil gallery mod?

Bill
member 141,234,541 of the red jeep club
post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Lory
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes red jeep, there are at least 10 threads on it.

I urge you to search this board for these four words: oil, York, gallery, mod Here's one result

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.