XRC8 winch answers I got from Smittybilt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > XRC8 winch answers I got from Smittybilt

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
sgtoobie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

XRC8 winch answers I got from Smittybilt

I noticed that some of the XRC8 product descriptions list it as having a 4.1 hp motor, some even say permanent magnet while Smittybilt and some others say it is the 5.5 hp series wound. I called Smittybilt and they verified that their current model XRC8s are the 5.5 hp series wound. Further they said that the winch is identical to the XRC10 with exception to the gearing. I explained that some dealers list this as the 4.1, they said to verify that the model number is 97281, it is definitely the series wound motor.

I then called Winchdepot who list the conflicting description. Their salesman verified what Smittybilt stated. Despite their description, the XRC8 they have been selling is the 5.5 hp series wound and was an excellent buy for the price.

In my research I seen several questions concerning this, just thought I would pass the word.

By the way, today I ordered the XRC8 from winchdepot for $269 with a free winch cover and free shipping. Wichdepot offered a lifetime warranty for $30.

They have the XRC10 for $359.99. For my application I will only use this a couple times a year tops and it would be trail riding not rock crawling. I don't need the extra grunt to lift me up the side of a cliff or out of a deep mud bog, maybe just some help out of a little mud hole, off a log or out of a snowy ditch. I wanted a little faster line speed as oppose to needing extra power. I guess if I needed one that had the extra power I would have went with a brand that had a more established reputation.

sgtoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
mg2000xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info!
Utah Jeep Crew Member #119
My Webshots
New Build
Old Build
mg2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

i love my xrc8 use it for everything... pulling down trees on my property that are unwanted... winching buddies out... collecting logs... it's great let me tell you

Firefighters Jeep Club
flexsaharatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just mounted mine, hard to freespool out. New 5.5hp series wound model. Anyone have this problem, or is it because it is brand new and very cold outside??
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
peteyg

Here's the scoop on the Smittybilt Xrc8:
First, Smittybilt, Winch Depot, and 4 Wheel Parts are all the same company.

Second, the Xrc8 is a Chinese winch. The first round of the -8 (Part number 97280) are the 4.1 HP motors. The later round of winches (PN 97281) were built by a completely different manufacturer, and have the 5.5 HP series wound motor. Overall it's a better winch than the first round, but it's still a Chinese knockoff of a t-max winch.

You get EXACTLY what you pay for these winches, but for the money they aren't that bad.

If you are looking for reliability, sell your Smittybilt winch and buy a Warn. If you only need it occasionally, you have the right winch.
peteyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
sgtoobie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Isn't T-Max also Chinese only assembled in Australia? Although I am not spooked by the "made in China" thing, I believe I would have went with a more established name if I was going to expect a lot of abuse on it.

Superwinch is Chinese also but I have a hard time finding post from people that own a Superwich having anything negative to say about them and I know they are popular and proven.

From what I have read Warn imports their motors from Brazil. Brazil? I haven't heard of anything of quality coming from Brazil other than maybe a cage fighter. Regardless Warn has proven to be the bench mark and earned their excellent reputation.

I doubt that Smittybilt will be ranked up there with Warn, Superwinch or Ramsy any time soon but so far it looks like their second generation models are doing very well and a great entry level, occasional use winch. Time will tell.
sgtoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

I love my xrc-8 2nd generation... there was a downed tree on my street yesterday after a snow storm blocking off my driveway so my dad wakes me up and asks if I wanted to have some fun so I pulled it up my property with the winch and sawed it up with the chainsaw for fire wood

Firefighters Jeep Club
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
coldwater
CJ7 

WOW!.....5 posts before the chinese winches were called junk, and warn declared king. do we have a record?
Unread 01-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
flexsaharatj
2010 JK Wrangler 

2 are mine

Firefighters Jeep Club

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.