XRC-8 Winch or Rugged Ridge??? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > XRC-8 Winch or Rugged Ridge???

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #46
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yea but the xrc doesnt say anything about stainless steel hardware.. im just going to go with the rr cause it has the higher weight and the stainless hardware.. do u guys think it would be worth it to get a cover for it???

l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)[/FONT][/SIZE]
jloo88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #47
Kits
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A cover never hurts or use a garbage bag, save some $$$ and buy a couple of beers.
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #48
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
A cover never hurts or use a garbage bag, save some $$$ and buy a couple of beers.
haha word up to that!!
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:53 AM   #49
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I know it isn't a choice in the thread, but: Go Warn. Made in America quality and not unknown Chinese made "probably crap" stuff. Great warranty too. Far better than a Chinese made product, I'd bet.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:55 AM   #50
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
I know it isn't a choice in the thread, but: Go Warn. Made in America quality and not unknown Chinese made "probably crap" stuff. Great warranty too. Far better than a Chinese made product, I'd bet.
warn is so expensive tho.. i prob wont even need it THAT much i just wont to have it just in case.. i feel u but i don think its necessary to pay the money for the warn..
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #51
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sure i'll buy a Warn winch. I'll take the 300 im willing to spend on a winch plus YOUR 300 and then i will buy one. let me know when your ready to dump that 300 in my paypal account
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #52
hammerz71
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller02TJ View Post
sure i'll buy a Warn winch. I'll take the 300 im willing to spend on a winch plus YOUR 300 and then i will buy one. let me know when your ready to dump that 300 in my paypal account
They may be A LOT more money, but IMO if you are going to buy one for anything over and above just sitting on the front of your vehicle just in case you get stuck, then they are worth every penny!

I have two, an M8000 on my Jeep and an XD9000i on my truck that I bought mainly because my old man has had the same Warn winch since I was in high school and I'm in my early 40s now! Now my old M8000 has been used a LOT MORE OFTEN for clearing timber, setting fences, etc. than it has for pulling a stuck vehicle, and after 6 years, it still runs like a top.

I have a buddy who owns farmland near mine who bought a Smittybuilt XRC10 about a year and a half ago for dirt cheap off Amazon.com. I think he gave about $375 for it. He's burnt the solenoids up in it twice and curses the thing, but I don't think it's a fair assessment. He uses it regularly for work around the farm, usually in clearing trees. The thing just doesn't have the duty cycle to run it during a full days' work like that. I think for an occasional use winch, the Smitty's are fine. I have no experience with the Rugged Ridge, but would imagine it to be about the same. BTW, Smitty sent him replacement solenoids both times with a call tag to return the bad ones, so other than down time it was no problem.

CURRENTLY REBUILDING THE 4.7 HO ENGINE
hammerz71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #53
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

also remember some people take better care of their things than others. i have things in my house from the dollar store and they have last for years when others break it after a day.
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #54
Kits
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
How many times have you used your winch, probably never so a Smitty would do just fine for most of us. I know a couple of people with them and they have no complaints. Warn is expensive, you could mount a Smitty front and back and still have lots of $$$ left over for probably a weeks worth of gas and beer. Cover your winch up to keep all the evil stuff of it but I got to admit I don't bother covering my winch.
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #55
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeahhhh, the great Warn debate, yet again
My experiences with Warn have been written before so I wont repeat them.
Much like the other guys that have fallen victim to the "great" Warn warranty.....and Made In USA? Too funny.
The OP never asked about Warn, so I guess I can also go off topic and level the playing field a little

Flame on, never bothered me before, sure it wont bother me now. Oh to have unlimited Jeep funds, then we could all go and blow $900 on a $500 winch (Warns own numbers BTW).

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
Kits
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Warn 9.5Ti and frankly I use it more to winch my coolers up trees and away from bears than I do for recovery (i guess that is recovery of a sort). If the Smitty's were available when I got my Warn I probably would have bought the Smitty to save some $$$.
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #57
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have pulled 50' trees down with my smitty...one right after another with 6-7" diameters...No issues. That was without using it for a year. FWIW, I have been reading more and more threads about warn solonids going. I got my XRC10 for 450.shipped from 4wd. com with a lifetime warrenty...and the sale was free shippping...so deals are there....
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #58
Kits
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Lifetime warranty and free shipping for $450, well ya can't beat that can ya.

Tags
rugged ridge , winch , xrc-8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.