XRC-8 Winch or Rugged Ridge??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > XRC-8 Winch or Rugged Ridge???

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

XRC-8 Winch or Rugged Ridge???

cant decide on what winch to go with.. they both look good but i would like to hear from the people lol.. looking to get some feedback or recommendations on these two winches:

Smittybilt XRC-8

OR.....

Rugged Ridge 8500

THANK GUYS!!

l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)[/FONT][/SIZE]
jloo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

I dont know of anyone running a Rugged Ridge, I plan on going with the XRC when I get my Jeep up and running and I have a friend who bought the XRC and its nice.
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7002 View Post
I dont know of anyone running a Rugged Ridge, I plan on going with the XRC when I get my Jeep up and running and I have a friend who bought the XRC and its nice.
see im in the same boat, i havent heard anyone running it, but it seems to be lagit.. more poundage, stainless steel hardware, comes with the roller as well.. idk i was all for the xrc, but this rugged ridge is pulling me that way for some reason.. def gotta get more feedback but i feel u and appreciate the post brotha..
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
LS1_DOC
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I run the xrc and sell a ton of them and warns and hardly ever have any problems with either. Cant say that about much other stuff however I dont sell alot of other brands and have no personal expericence with Rugged Ridge products.
LS1_DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't have either winch. I have a couple of frineds who have had the smittys. It seems they do have good customer service

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I plan on buying the rugged ridge, because of the fact it pulls more and it has a better warranty.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
I plan on buying the rugged ridge, because of the fact it pulls more and it has a better warranty.
thats the only reason y im thinking about going with it.. that and the stainless steel hardware.. the only thing is that i keep hearing great things about the smitty..

does rugged ridge make good products?????
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge just recently started making these winches like 2 or 3 months ago... I'm leaning towards the RR as well because of that V
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
I remember reading somewhere on here that the same factory builds most of the "lower end" (not Warn) winches. The same guy said that the same company builds winches for Smitty and RR, but I dunno

I'd still like to hear from someone who actually has one of Rugged Ridge's though

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
2009_89yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have ran both... XRC at first then got the RR after my smitty was rusting after about a month or 2. As Jloo88 said, the SS hardware is key... unless you like rust... But I also have somewhat of a biast opinion as I work for Omix (Rugged Ridge), but I also worked for 4Wheel Parts(Smitty) when I had the XRC. But as I said I have personal experience with both... The XRC has no lack of functionality, it winched me 1/4 mile up a creek when my clutch went out in my YJ. But the RR also pulled me up the same creek just about the same distance after my tranny went out in my XJ, needless to say I am never going back to that devil creek... But both preformed great. I would recommend the RR because of the hardware and some more pulling power.
2009_89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009_89yj View Post
I have ran both... XRC at first then got the RR after my smitty was rusting after about a month or 2. As Jloo88 said, the SS hardware is key... unless you like rust... But I also have somewhat of a biast opinion as I work for Omix (Rugged Ridge), but I also worked for 4Wheel Parts(Smitty) when I had the XRC. But as I said I have personal experience with both... The XRC has no lack of functionality, it winched me 1/4 mile up a creek when my clutch went out in my YJ. But the RR also pulled me up the same creek just about the same distance after my tranny went out in my XJ, needless to say I am never going back to that devil creek... But both preformed great. I would recommend the RR because of the hardware and some more pulling power.
That's exactly what I've been waiting to hear for the past couple of weeks haha I'm ordering a RR winch whenever I get my next paycheck

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecalebwalker View Post
That's exactly what I've been waiting to hear for the past couple of weeks haha I'm ordering a RR winch whenever I get my next paycheck
haha!! yup!! x2!! i think im going with the rugged ridge!!
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rugged Ridge for me too
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
TJRubicon06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am almost willing to bet they are both the SAME exact winch/motor/gears. Both a 5.5hp, 172:1 gearing, and they both look identical in the body. Both most likely come out of the same factory in china.
Black Jeep Club member #95

Build Thread
1-20-13
Northridge4x4

Getting Astute
TJRubicon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
jloo88
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJRubicon06 View Post
I am almost willing to bet they are both the SAME exact winch/motor/gears. Both a 5.5hp, 172:1 gearing, and they both look identical in the body. Both most likely come out of the same factory in china.
probably, idk i really like the idea of the stainless steel hardware.. as well as the increased weight.. im not gonna use it ridiculous amounts either, i think it will be perfect. i think im going with the rr..
l---L-OlllllllO-
Unread 05-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #15
HighRoller02TJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im ordering my rugged ridge winch today, JCWhitney has it for 299 plus 50 bucks off coupon if you spend 299 or over so its only 249. great deal ends July 31st 2010

i will post coupon code if needed by anyone
HighRoller02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rugged ridge , winch , xrc-8

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.