Is it worth it to buy a Jeep in an area devoid of trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Is it worth it to buy a Jeep in an area devoid of trails

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 11-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
JeremyT101

Is it worth it to buy a Jeep in an area devoid of trails

Hey guys

I have been a long time lurker of this forum and other Jeep forums as well. Cutting straight to the chase, I want a Jeep real bad; a mildy modded XJ with like 3.5" of lift and 31's to be exact. My two main sticking points I guess are the fact that I currently own a lowered ford focus that is my first car and as served me well over the past two and a half years and the process of selling it and then not having a car until I found a good XJ is a bit daunting. Also the fact that other then oil changes, and regular maintenance I haven't had the car need any kind of repairs, and I have read that XJ's can be a bit of a headache.

I think the real meat of the matter is that I drool everyday over other peoples jeep and trail pictures, but around where I live there is basically nothing offroad within a 150km radius. And I'm not sure how often I could really make it to these places. Just kind of general question to you Jeepers, is if you lived in an area that was not trail dense, or lacked a significant offroading population, would you still want to own a Jeep?

Thanks

JeremyT101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

You live in Ontario, what do you do for a winter vehicle? I'm sure you get a fair amount of snow up there. If your drive your Taurus as your winter DD, it would just be some peace of mind having four wheel and a vehicle that can get you around in the snow. XJ's aren't that bad of a headache (I've had 2, 6 Jeeps total). If you won't be wheeling it it's even better for maintenance. It's typically the mud that eats away at things (starters, alternators, rubber pieces, u-joints, seals, rust on metal, etc.), and rocks that take bites out of your metal bits. Just my opinion but I'd say go for it.
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Some folks dream of bmws.. mercedes.. rolls... Others Pickups etc.... those of us afflicted with the Jeep itch... just have to have one.. or three...

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Where there's a Jeep there's a way. At least I think that's how the saying goes...haha

I love my Jeep more than most other things in the world and even though where I am currently living in VA is not all too conduscive to my type of wheeling I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it. I say if it is what you want then go for it.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
1HouseMouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I always wanted a Ferrari or a Porsch but, the speed limits are what they are.....
1HouseMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If people bought vehicles based on if they made sense, we would all be driving GEO Metros, Ford Rangers, Dodge 2500's, and some kind of barebones reliable minivan.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
KenB
1981 CJ7 

Nope. Not worth it. That's what I told myself for 50 years. Then, on a whim, I bought an old CJ7 to be able to drive some backroads on a vacation trip. Planned on selling it after that vacation, but it was just kind of fun to drive, so I kept it. And then, a couple of years later, picked up a YJ (it was supposed to be for my granddaughter, but that didn't work out). So now I have two Jeeps, no trails close by, and I'm loving every minute of it. I make excuses to myself to drive them - highways, county roads, top off, doors off ... just for the fun of it. You will see things, hear things, smell things that you missed completely from inside the metal box. My only regret is that I waited so long.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Arcticcat
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyT101 View Post
Hey guys

I have been a long time lurker of this forum and other Jeep forums as well. Cutting straight to the chase, I want a Jeep real bad; a mildy modded XJ with like 3.5" of lift and 31's to be exact. My two main sticking points I guess are the fact that I currently own a lowered ford focus that is my first car and as served me well over the past two and a half years and the process of selling it and then not having a car until I found a good XJ is a bit daunting. Also the fact that other then oil changes, and regular maintenance I haven't had the car need any kind of repairs, and I have read that XJ's can be a bit of a headache.

I think the real meat of the matter is that I drool everyday over other peoples jeep and trail pictures, but around where I live there is basically nothing offroad within a 150km radius. And I'm not sure how often I could really make it to these places. Just kind of general question to you Jeepers, is if you lived in an area that was not trail dense, or lacked a significant offroading population, would you still want to own a Jeep?

Thanks
Ok I’m not going to try to convince you whether a Jeep is a vehicle for you or not. Most people that own a Jeep will tell you they either love them or hate them. I purchased my first Jeep when I was 16 yrs old (1945 Willys MB) It was slow, I have to shift a certain speed or couldn’t shift at all and to be honest it was not the most comfortable vehicle. Where I used to live at the time there was not trails, but there were a lot of mountains and the roads often became impassable, but while I watch other people waiting for a road crew to clear a landslide, I made it easily to the other side. I’m on my 3rd Jeep (I currently own a 2004 Wrangler TJ). Noisy soft-top, no power windows or doors, and the fuel mileage is not the best. My current Jeep has 89,000 miles on it. This last summer I took off and drove all the way to Alaska, it took me 2 months and at some places I decided to cut thru the desert and some other times the roads that I travelled became impassable, but I made it over with my Jeep (and about 2,000 lbs worth of gear). I compare owning a Jeep with being a paratrooper in the Army; I was not a paratrooper because of the pay ($83 extra a month) I did it because I like it. By owning a Jeep you do not just own a vehicle. We are a class apart, Jeepers wave to each other and help each other whenever they can. We love our vehicles and who we are. I regret ever selling my first 1945 Willys MB, but you know that if kept that vehicle today, I would be able to find parts to repair that vehicle. I cannot say that for many vehicles. Is either a vehicle that you love or you just don’t, just like jumping out of planes you either love it or hate it, not for everyone. I personally would never buy any other vehicle.
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Mike
oooh you almost had it

absolutely. we have two lifted XJ's and my YJ. I like the spartan interior, road noise from the soft top, tire hum, lack of bells and whistles, and general utility. the capability just adds to it. I live in Va as well, so finding a spot to wheel is a chore but the characteristics are what I like most about owning one.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A Jeep would suit anyone just fine...

- If you want to learn how to work on a car, they are simple, and you just upgrade things as they need replacement
- If you live in a snowy area, it cant hurt. Ontario has experience dealing with lots of snow, but what the hell right?
- If you want to go off road, you can make a vacation out of it... go somewhere for a few days.
- And ultimately... if you like it, and it suits your taste, you really don't need any other reason!
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
SunnyStunt101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am currently in Guelph (UofG student)! Picked up my first Jeep this past summer. Loving it so far! Cannot wait for next summer to arrive so i can wheel it. Like you, I do not know any trails but hoping I can find something not too far and worth the drive.
SunnyStunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Personally, I say; if you really want a particular vehicle; get one (its the gratification that important not the use).
For snow I normally use an open 2WD Ranger, having grown up driving in snow; I believe that 98% or the time 4WD is not necessary for good drivers in the winter. I store the Jeep each September/October.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
JeremyT101

Wow guys! Thanks so much for all the replies! I had my focus up on some local classified ads as an offer to trade for an XJ for the better part of a month, but I got no takers. I have contemplated putting it up on Jeepforum in the classifieds, but as most guys are from the states, I wasn't sure if it would be a smart idea. What do you guys think? I love jeeps, and have always wanted a lifted vehicle, so I know that I will get one. I would hope that I could trade my focus for one that is worth while so that I can take some money and build it myself. Sunnystunt, I also go to UofG and so if you want help working on your jeep, (although I don't know much about working on jeeps, I can learn quick and wrench) or need a wheelin buddy hit me up, I would be happy to ride along with you.
JeremyT101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There are trails in the Kawartha's. If any of you are going out there and want a wheeling buddy send me a PM.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.