JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/)
-   -   Working on a website to help find other users/parks/events, input needed! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/working-website-help-find-other-users-parks-events-input-needed-1543938/)

lolitsdaelan 07-02-2013 10:23 AM

Working on a website to help find other users/parks/events, input needed!

Hey all,

I've been working on a side project for a few weeks now that I'm hoping will function as a sort of 'directory' for Jeepers. I'm approaching the point where I can release a beta of the site and get some extensive testing done, but I'm beginning to question what exactly the purpose of the site should be. So I'll run through some history/purpose of the site and see what you guys think. Who knows better than my potential future users? :)

Background: When I attended my first event, I had only ever visited JeepForum.com, and thus only assumed fellow members of that site would be there. Turns out, more than half the people there were actually from other forums and clubs! I realized then that there are TONS of sites out there, but no real central way of figuring out what's going on.

The Solution: The website I'm working on is basically GoogleMaps for Jeeps. You would register by providing your address (not visible to others), and can then search for other users, parks, and events around you (whatever search radius you'd like to use). As a user you have the ability to add your Jeep(s), your handle on sites that you have registered on, and any clubs that you may be in. The idea is that you may search and find out that there's a club in your area you weren't aware of (and so on). You can also subscribe to Parks and get notifications when new events are added. Events can be added by anyone. So whether it's Jeep Jamboree or you and a few buddies hitting the trails, you'll have full ability to add them.

Here's a sample screenshot of what it would look like to be logged in and search for nearby parks (obviously more would show up, my sample data is minimal at the moment).

http://i.imgur.com/ZYYTVj2.png

The Problem(s):
- Privacy: With the recent issues of online privacy (and being a privacy advocate myself to an extent), what are you willing to share? Currently, the only personal information you provide is an address (again, not visible to other users), but when you are found in another users search, a pin is dropped at the address (so no actual address, but marked on the map). All that is revealed are any Jeeps/Websites/Clubs that you have entered. I can see some people not being a fan of this...
- Useful?: Does this sound like something you would use? Is it useful to see nearby users specific info (Jeeps/Websites/Clubs)? Or would it make sense to simply return the Websites (without usernames) and Clubs of nearby users, but not actually the users themselves?

I want to create a central site for information to connect fellow Jeepers, without creating "another site to constantly check". Something you sign up for, and check back into hear and there to see what's going on.

Is this something you would use? Any input/feedback on the idea? Features you would like to see?

Filthy-Beast 07-02-2013 11:33 PM

I would suggest my location be based on zip code and that I not have to give my address. I would use it if events were not limited to official park sponsored events. So If I decided I was going to the BadLands on Aug 20th I could check the site for events other users had posted and either join in that event or create one of my own. I'd assume there would need to be a PM system that would send me an email alert, to event changes I subscribed to. It could also be used if I wanted to directly connect with another user.

I would not have a general forum section, as I have enough of those to check now.

jp360cj 07-03-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast (Post 15635225)
I would suggest my location be based on zip code and that I not have to give my address. I would use it if events were not limited to official park sponsored events. So If I decided I was going to the BadLands on Aug 20th I could check the site for events other users had posted and either join in that event or create one of my own. I'd assume there would need to be a PM system that would send me an email alert, to event changes I subscribed to. It could also be used if I wanted to directly connect with another user.

I would not have a general forum section, as I have enough of those to check now.

I agree with all of the above, especially only using zip codes. I would also like to be able subscribe to an area/park/club and get notifications when events are added. IMO, a PM system would be critical to making the useful. Afterall, what good is it to know how many jeepers are around if you can't communicate with them?

I can also see it being very helpful if, for example, you take your Jeep on a road trip and it breaks down. You could use the site to get in contact with someone who may have an obscure part laying around you need to get back on the road. Or possibly has a specialty tool you can use.

lolitsdaelan 07-03-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

The zip code is a great idea. I could remove users from the map, but still provide a list of "users in your area" or something to that extent.

Clearly I explained the concept poorly, but events can be added by anyone. So you could create your Aug 20th trip, and that then becomes visible to others.

You will eventually be able to 'subscribe' to anything (places/events/users), and when an event is added/changed/etc, you will get a notification (if you want to get emails) or see it on the home page when you log in.

Don't worry, I have no plans to make any sort of forum. We all have plenty to those to sift through already :laugh:

lolitsdaelan 07-03-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp360cj (Post 15635447)
I agree with all of the above, especially only using zip codes. I would also like to be able subscribe to an area/park/club and get notifications when events are added. IMO, a PM system would be critical to making the useful. Afterall, what good is it to know how many jeepers are around if you can't communicate with them?

I can also see it being very helpful if, for example, you take your Jeep on a road trip and it breaks down. You could use the site to get in contact with someone who may have an obscure part laying around you need to get back on the road. Or possibly has a specialty tool you can use.

Now, when you say PM system, are you referring to alerts/notifications of events? Or are you referring to direct communication with other users? My initial idea is to provide alerts/notification, but steer away from actual communication since the majority of us have forums accounts, thus why one of the categories to enter data on is websites/usernames. But hey, if that's what the users want! :)

This is great input, thanks guys! :cheers2:

lolitsdaelan 07-03-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

I would suggest my location be based on zip code and that I not have to give my address.

Just tested the GoogleMaps API with only zip codes, and it works! Hopefully I can make some good ground over this holiday weekend. I'd like to get a working beta site out in the next week or two

Filthy-Beast 07-03-2013 09:27 AM

Does not have to be PM, but some system where users can contact each other without the system giving out our email address.

The time now is 07:54 AM.