window tint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > window tint

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

window tint

sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but how much does it cost to get all my windows tinted?

jdhughes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
MissMurder
Enemy of all chicks

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about cost, it's been years since I got windows done, but make sure it's legal in your state. I got pulled over with a friend once, in a blizzard, and the bastard cop handed us a razor and told us to start scraping, or he would. Also got a ticket.

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #218

Just so you all know, If I think you're an ******* I will gladly tell you. I'm not your everyday girl, so don't expect me to act like one. And yeah, I do like it topless and dirty!

Quoted Jetscuh: "I really have to force myself to eat nuts. There are other forms of protein as well, but it can be hard making sure you get enough at times."
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
CharcoLaredo

Nowhere is tint illegal, it is the darkness of it that make it illegal. If that were the case almost all cars from the factory would be in violation. When we send our squad cars to tint it is about $135. But it varies by how many windows and size.
CharcoLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
MissMurder
Enemy of all chicks

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharcoLaredo
Nowhere is tint illegal, it is the darkness of it that make it illegal. If that were the case almost all cars from the factory would be in violation. When we send our squad cars to tint it is about $135. But it varies by how many windows and size.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear...I meant make sure the percentage he is getting is legal. I think it has to be 25 or 35%

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #218

Just so you all know, If I think you're an ******* I will gladly tell you. I'm not your everyday girl, so don't expect me to act like one. And yeah, I do like it topless and dirty!

Quoted Jetscuh: "I really have to force myself to eat nuts. There are other forms of protein as well, but it can be hard making sure you get enough at times."
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Mud Pilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

around here or in NC it's 35%. But the cops don't really bother you all that much. lol thank god
Mud Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharcoLaredo
I don't agree....Here in Illinois, tint is illegal (any % or darkness) to have on your front drivers door and passenger door windows. They must be just plain, clear glass.

Also, you can only have the top 4in of your windshield tinted, but you can have any % tint you want on your rear/side windows other than driver/passenger windows.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
badfish488
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My cousin just got a $645 ticket for speeding and for window tinting. He was fined $250 just for having 20% tint on his front windows. Oh yeah, in Massachusetts you can have tint on your front windows but the darkness has to be like 30% or something.
badfish488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
EG00TJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yes its illegal to have FRONT 2 windows tinted (driver & passenger side)

I personally dont understand why people need them tinted so bad, esp knowing its illegal...
Unread 11-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #9
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Georgia Window Tint Law
Georgia Tint Law Enacted: 2005
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN GEORGIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Georgia, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 32% of light in.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/GA/
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anytime anybody asks how much something is gonna cost, that's just pretty much wasted effort!!! There are SO many variables in the equation, not the least of which is geographic location...but the real value of this thread is the information about the legality of window tinting...Ya just gotta ask yourself if it's really worth the inconvenience, and possibly worse consequences, of window tinting being the probable cause of a traffic stop! Feel free to read between the lines here!!!
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
jdhughes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy
Anytime anybody asks how much something is gonna cost, that's just pretty much wasted effort!!! There are SO many variables in the equation, not the least of which is geographic location...but the real value of this thread is the information about the legality of window tinting...Ya just gotta ask yourself if it's really worth the inconvenience, and possibly worse consequences, of window tinting being the probable cause of a traffic stop! Feel free to read between the lines here!!!
Well im not interested in anything illegal, its just that all my windows are clear as glass and it would be nice to get a darker shade. So how much did it cost someone?
jdhughes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

call your local tint shop. yellowpages.com

the prices in california are goign to be different than nj and different than florida, etc...

not that it matters at all but here in wilmington, nc tint costs are:

$50 for the front two windows
$130-$180 for 4 doors and the rear window (price depends on whether the window seals are rubber or felt... felt sucks to tint.... price depends on whether the rear defroster has matrix dots.... price depends if their are more than a total of 5 windows getting done such as portal windoes or solder cherokee windows)
$20-$40 for a windshield banner

price is the same whether you wanted 35% (legal) or 5% (illegal) or anything in between.

if matching the front windows of an suv or truck 18% is an almost perfect match to the rear factory tint, fyi.

if your windows already have aftermarket tint then expect to pay an addition $100-$250 to have it removed and your windows cleaned... rear defroster type is usually the deciding factor on price.

now, none of that is goign to help you unless you feel like driving to wilmington... but if you do, shoot me a pm. the guy i use will guarantee the best film quality, prices, and installation quality in town with a full warranty

-Erik <--- tinted mom's volvo 15% and dad's suburban front windows 18% for christmas two years ago and they can't figure out how they ever lived without it
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
93ZJbeast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Im getting 9 windows (5% in back, 20% in front window) and windshield banner for $150. Mid NY.
**2000 sea-doo XP - plain fun
93ZJbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.