Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Winches

Tags
winches
8K views 101 replies 23 participants last post by  CZDiesel 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a winch thats a good one and a fair price. Any suggestions on make, site, model?

#88 ·
billiebob said:
One of the best winches ever. Ramsey supplies that winch for tow trucks as a hydraulic unit. 100% duty cycle. It is based on the old Tulsa worm & roller winches. I think the electric version is about 170#.
Thanks for that background.. I love it and am proud to have it on my jeep. And yes. It's pretty dang heavy. :)

#90 ·
This thread has gotten as squirrelly as most do here on JF!

So to the OP Tcolesz,
Again buy the best you can afford as recovery gear can save your vehicle and even your life!

Most here seem to think that the only way to go is Warn... Its hard to doubt their logic as Warn is such a great winch!

But as biffgnar has testified to, and he is both a trail guy and a hard core racer, Superwinch is also a great brand! And if you do your homework you'll see that COMEUP winches are also in the same league and are used extensively around the world...

So Tcolesz, I say just use your googlefoo and look at these three and their experiences and choose one... Anyone you choose Im sure you will be very happy with and will pull you out of a tight spot :thumbsup:

#96 ·
You'll just have to pardon me if retaining the model code, date of manufacture, and serial number of a broken piece of equipment that I disposed of ten years ago just really hasn't been high on my priority list up to this point.
I guess I'll just go ahead and inventory my underwear drawer tonight in case you want any specific information about that in a decade as well.

#98 ·
I'd agree with you if I used winches like the average person on this board. This is a working ranch, and the winches I have are tools like any other; I generally probably have 2-3 around at any given time, and some live a normal life until their death without ever being mounted on an actual vehicle ( unless you count tractors). These usually aren't some major mod to a jeep when I buy them, just something more akin to a chainsaw or trash pump. Buy it, expense it, use it, kill it, fix it or chunk it. Some got sold, some traded, and one got stolen. None of which I really consider all that significant of an event in my life.. That superwinch was a decent winch, then it died when the smoke got out. Its life, however, left me with an distinct impression that it was inferior to the warns and Ramseys I've had under the same auspices, and I thus will not get another in all likelihood. Is that so hard to grasp?

edit: just for the record, the SW in question was a chinese model, I do remember that.. I'll withhold judgement on their US built models, since I've never owned one, and would certainly give them a chance if the price was right in the future. Until then, I've pretty much decided to get nothing but Warns from here on out, they represent the best life and performance for the money. I really don't know that on a long term basis under usage conditions like mine you can get a better deal than the Warn M8000. The Superwinch I had was pretty much right in the pack of any other chinese winches I've ever owned, with the exception of my one factory-freak HF winch, which I really don't even dream of being representative of that model or HF winches in general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.