Winch(xd8000i) wont pull line, but will push it...barely used - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch(xd8000i) wont pull line, but will push it...barely used

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Winch(xd8000i) wont pull line, but will push it...barely used

I have had my winch(xd8000i) for about 2 years now, only used 3x and very lightly at that. Unfortunately, I got into a wreck about a month ago and my winch took some damage on the left side(pic links below). Although, i tested the winch after the wreck and it worked fine, but now it seems to only to feed the line out. When i try to pull the line back in it just clicks and there is no movement. I have never taken a winch apart and am I little confused on what to do.

By lummus2930 at 2010-05-24

Last edited by nlummus2; 05-24-2010 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: resize images
nlummus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

wow, way to big, sorry! lol
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bump......
2005 TJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 6 Speed, Drop, 3" Suspension Lift(Transfer Case 1"), 33x12.5x15 BFG M/T, American Racing Wheels, XD8000i(synthetic line, with thimble), Poison Spider Rock Sliders, A/T Rock Rear Bumper and Front Bumper, KC Fog Lights, CB Radio, Herculiner inside,
Unread 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That the motor works in one direction and not the other likely indicates something besides the motor is responsible for the problem. There are four solenoids underneath the top cover with the big red Warn on it. Two of those solenoids (remote control heavy duty switches) provide the 'In' direction connection to the motor, the other two provide the 'Out' connection to the motor. Are you competent with a meter & can work on a live DC circuit without frying it or doing any accidental welding?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yes i am, lol
2005 TJ Wrangler, 4.0L, 6 Speed, Drop, 3" Suspension Lift(Transfer Case 1"), 33x12.5x15 BFG M/T, American Racing Wheels, XD8000i(synthetic line, with thimble), Poison Spider Rock Sliders, A/T Rock Rear Bumper and Front Bumper, KC Fog Lights, CB Radio, Herculiner inside,
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlummus2 View Post
yes i am, lol
Based on that, remove the screws on the side of the housing that hold the top/middle cover in place. That will expose the solenoids. Before I forget to say this, don't overtighten those long side screws when you replace the cover as they are only threaded into aluminum.

Two of those solenoids are working on the 'Out' side, one or two of the solenoids on the 'In' side are likely the problem. If you have a test light or meter, place it across each solenoid's main (big posts). The light will glow or the meter will indicate 12 volts when the solenoid is inactive and the light will go out & the meter will go to 0 volts when the solenoid is activated. See if one of the four solenoids gives a different symptom when going back & forth between In and Out. If they do, disconnect the winch's positive lead from the battery. Then loosen & retighten both the small and large connectors at the solenoid, you are of course looking for a loose or bad connection at this point. You can also feel the solenoids as they energize, if they are energizing that is.

Whoops, newer Warn winches don't have a ground supplied to the solenoids until energized with the remote so the above may not work when the solenoids are not activated. However, a solenoid that is not working properly when energized will show 12 volts across its big lugs since those two big lugs go to the connector inside... which when making a connection will connect those two lugs together.

I have a photo of my old Warn winch internals at home, its solenoids may be marked well enough to know which solenoids are for In and Out. If it does, that will help & I'll post it at night. If it doesn't, I can't look to see because that is the winch that was on my TJ that was stolen in March. My replacement Warn (9.5 XP) winch has its solenoids layed out differently.

Unread 05-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #7
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if i figure out it is the solenoids, which i will test tomorrow...is there a website that i can buy them from? cost estimate?

also, if they look like there working and connected properly what should i try next?
Unread 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlummus2 View Post
if i figure out it is the solenoids, which i will test tomorrow...is there a website that i can buy them from? cost estimate?

also, if they look like there working and connected properly what should i try next?
Let's take this one step at a time & assume the problem is with a solenoid or the wiring leading to/from a solenoid. If it turns out to be a bad solenoid, I have used this source for solenoids to fit a Warn winch in the past: DB Electrical Starter-Alternator > winch solenoid,prestolite solenoid,universal solenoid,solenoid

Unread 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
MattIngram
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Let's take this one step at a time & assume the problem is with a solenoid or the wiring leading to/from a solenoid. If it turns out to be a bad solenoid, I have used this source for solenoids to fit a Warn winch in the past: DB Electrical Starter-Alternator > winch solenoid,prestolite solenoid,universal solenoid,solenoid
I am going through the same thing. I have a solenoid out on the "in" side. A buddy of mine said don't waste your money on the more expencive solenoids, just go get a $8 dollar one at the parts store for like a ford. Is there and truth to that? I don't know much about them, but the way I look at it, the starter solenoids are ment for short "bursts" instead of long consent pulls? Am I seeing that right?
MattIngram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your buddy would likely end up with a dead winch when he really needed it to work after a while using an inexpensive "in a can" style solenoid that isn't all that well sealed against moisture. To me, paying $19.50 for a sealed solenoid ($39 for a pair actually) from that website I suggested is the wise way to do things since a winch sits outside & is exposed to all kinds of nasty stuff.

Unread 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here is winch just sitting

By lummus2930 at 2010-06-09

Here is winch with PUSH

Here is winch with PULL

Unread 06-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bump......
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
nlummus2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

bump......

Tags
winch , xd8000i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.