this winch or that winch?? HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > this winch or that winch?? HELP!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 02-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

this winch or that winch?? HELP!

hey, i just sold my old rims and i have decided to get a winch, but thats about where my certianty ends. I have three main winch models in mind, but i still am not sure which one to get and i was hoping to get advice from all who have experience with any of these winches.

I am choosing between:
1) Smittybuilt xrc-8 for $300

2)Smittybuilt xrc-8 competition series with synthetic wire and aluminum fairlead for $450

3)mile marker sec-8 for $330

Any info is appreciated. also, i have to get a raised winchplate because of my bumper, so if anyone has info on a particular model, please chime in!
Thank You!

yjryne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i need some help please!
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no fan of any of them. It would be worth saving a little more to get a better quality winch like a Tabor, Warn, Ramsey, or the X-9 or S9000 Superwinch. At least it would be worth it if you plan to actually use it regularly and not just once a year or strictly for show.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you dont like the series wound motor in the smittybuilt? i read a lot of reviews on it and people seemed to love it for the money. i know it has a lot of solonoid problems and apparently cheap hardware, but i can rig a solenoid and get new hardware for cheap. im also wondering if the extra 150 is worth synthetic line and an aluminum fairlead?
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #5
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'm no fan of any of them. It would be worth saving a little more to get a better quality winch like a Tabor, Warn, Ramsey, or the X-9 or S9000 Superwinch. At least it would be worth it if you plan to actually use it regularly and not just use it once a year.
I like my Superwinch and some models can be had for not much more than the ones you are looking at...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the superwinch lp8500 is 399, is that the model you have?
has it held up well?
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I just bought the EPi 9.0 Superwinch for $499...you can read the following article:

Jeep Articles / General (Winches In Hell) - MoabJeeper Magazine

this article might help you...good luck
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I just bought the EPi 9.0 Superwinch for $499...you can read the following article:

This is the one I have... I don't winch every time I go out and I only get out once a month if I'm lucky... so I'm a "light" user...but it's held up well for every time I've needed it and been happy...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
sandjunkie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the xrc-8 comp for 399 a few months ago. I couldn't beat the price for a synthetic line winch. I haven't had to use it yet and I probably won't have to use it much so for the price I couldn't justify any of the others.

sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #10
yjryne
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry, i read in another article where you said you wouldnt buy for 4wd or 4wheelparts, so i was wondering if i could get any suggestions for a place with good price AND good customer service?

and sandjunkie, where did you get that for 400? id jump on that right now if i could!
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post

Very good article everyone looking at a winch should read this.
787 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
sandjunkie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjryne View Post
Jerry, i read in another article where you said you wouldnt buy for 4wd or 4wheelparts, so i was wondering if i could get any suggestions for a place with good price AND good customer service?

and sandjunkie, where did you get that for 400? id jump on that right now if i could!

Got it at 4 wheel parts. They matched National Tire and Wheel's online price. NTW has since changed their price online.
sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
winch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.