Winch tree/stump removal? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch tree/stump removal?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

my buddy and I just pulled a tree that had fallenover but was still growing sideways, we dug enough to get the tow strap under the tree, then used a tree saver arond a tree in front of us and attached the winch to that. once everything was tight both front/rear i put the jeep in 2nd gear and at the same time was pulling the winch cable in. took about 25 minutes to get the pull the tree, stump and all out of the ground

Unread 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Amadeus3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonistic View Post
I was figuring that here it would be easier to pull a stump because the soil layer is so shallow. Usually less than 2 feet before hitting bedrock (lava). The trees I want to remove are sapling size trees.
You should be fine then with small roots and sapling size trees. Just make sure you use a tree saver strap or a chain around the tree and secure it to the tree as a choker. then just pull away, you might have to dig on the opposite side of them or hack at the roots with an axe but with trees that small I think they'll just come right up. Good luck.
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In the last 2 years I have pulled out 3 stumps. None of them with a winch. #1 was with a 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins, #2 was with a 420E Caterpillar backhoe (that stump was in there - took about an hour to pull/dig out, even with the backhoe), and #3 was with a 29 hp Kubota tractor - This was a smaller stump, so the tractor handled it ok. It's good to know someone who has a backhoe.
If you don't have access to machinery, I would suggest cutting the stump flush to the ground, then having someone come in and do some stump grinding. You could do it cheaper by applying some stump-rot to it. Takes a while to work though.

The video at the beginning of this thread is hilarious. What a bunch of dopes. Of all the people standing around watching, you would think that at least one of them could see what was going to happen. I feel sorry for the little truck.
Unread 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
hatfield44
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make a hole in the middle of the stump, fill with black powder, rig two wires for a detonator (model rocket parts work great), hook wires to a battery, and blow stump into oblivion.
Just make sure everyone is at a safe distance
hatfield44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #20
Eaallred
1962 CJ5 

My neighbor took out 3 50 ft. walnut trees out last summer.

Tree's were there when I left the house for work, gone when I got home. They cut them all up, then ground the stumps down. Fast and easy for the homeowner.

My other neighbor had a 2ft diameter stump ground down last fall. Grew right through the chain link fence between our property. Ground right through it all. Awesome way to get rid of stumps.
Eaallred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #21
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I dunno if I'd even attempt to pull a tree stump out with a winch. As heavy as my Wrangler is and coupled with its 9500 lb. capacity winch, all that happened for me was the winch dragged my Jeep across my neighbor's lawn when trying to yank out a big bush with deep roots. I'd think a tree would be even worse.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
FarmBoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I agree that a winch won't be a lot of use in pulling a big stump but I do have to ask - What do you do with your winch? Push??
Maybe I should have said for using as a tow strap or tow chain. A winch is used for, well, winching

The stumps I was thinking of were big trees....you know dozens of years old. I'm afraid all you'd do is pull your Jeep towards the stump.

It may work on saplings, but then again why not cut them off below the fground and be done. I suppose you have to use the winch for something.

-jeff b.
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #23
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I dunno if I'd even attempt to pull a tree stump out with a winch. As heavy as my Wrangler is and coupled with its 9500 lb. capacity winch, all that happened for me was the winch dragged my Jeep across my neighbor's lawn when trying to yank out a big bush with deep roots. I'd think a tree would be even worse.
Where's the video Jerry?
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
troy.j
1999 TJ Wrangler 

When I was a child I saw my uncle chain his surplus jeep to one stump and put the PTO winch to another. The thought was one stump to the other would come out..... The surplus jeep had the frame bolted back together (us army used to cut the frame in half) you can see where this went....

...ask those who have bled of the cost of freedom and honor those who gave that others may have what we take for granted...
troy.j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #25
CJATE

your doing it wrong

Cut it off as much as you can, drill a few holes. Soak in diesel for several hrs… put a big bag of match light charcoal on top. Burn it…. let the diesel burn off, and roast some Winnies/drink beer.

Cant burn it, rent or pay some one to grind it.

If you must pull, dig it out a bit, hook the chain as close as you can to the ground, run the chain up over your spear tire or spear wheel. Put the wheel as close as you can to the stump. This will both pull “up” and add a bit of leverage.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #26
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

If the rear of the Jeep were anchored to another tree by a chain, I wonder how much tension before the bumper, hooks, or frame went "pop". Probably more than most winches ratings, I'd imagine... All this stump talk reminds me of the enormous winches I saw on the logging program on Discovery...As Paul Hogan said on Crocodile Dundee, "that's not a winch mate. Now THAT's a winch" As for me, I'll call the excavator.

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy.j View Post
When I was a child I saw my uncle chain his surplus jeep to one stump and put the PTO winch to another. The thought was one stump to the other would come out..... The surplus jeep had the frame bolted back together (us army used to cut the frame in half) you can see where this went....
not even serious? it really ripped in half????

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #28
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

should of made a video of my old 84 s10 wood truck rusted to hell and back.

only thing it had was locking rear and front diffs

we notched a tree hooked up about 50ft of tow straps and then the wind blew and the tree fell the other direction yankin us back and sitting the front end of the truck with the *** end in the air.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #29
TJBen
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Worked like a charm.

Just cut the top of the 8" tree to chest height, wrapped winch + tree saver around it, pulled it taught, and went in reverse.

TJBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #30
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBen View Post
Just cut the top of the 8" tree to chest height, wrapped winch + tree saver around it, pulled it taught, and went in reverse.
Your mistake. A winch is not used on a moving vehicle. Tie the jeep off from the rear so you aren't pulling the Jeep to the tree, hook the winch line up to the tree strap and operate the winch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.