Winch tree/stump removal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch tree/stump removal?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
neonistic
1981 CJ7 

Winch tree/stump removal?

Has anyone done this? What is the "proper" procedure?

Unread 03-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

here how not to do it...

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkuG_RTS15I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkuG_RTS15I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0okami View Post
here how not to do it...

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkuG_RTS15I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GkuG_RTS15I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

The homeowner say's "Now that you have it in your truck, can you haul it to the dump for me?"

How obvious was it that that was going to happen? He's lucky he didn't get squished.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Amadeus3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That would have been a great Darwin award had he been successful.
Unread 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0okami View Post
here how not to do it...

That was funny as hell. How cold you not see that was going to happen.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Back OT. I had to winch a few trees for a friend of mine one. His property was on a 30' rocky hill overlooking a lake, with the edge of the yard at the top of the hill and the trees towards the bottom. When he cut the trees they'd fall down into the water. From there we'd cut them into about 10 foot sections and winched them up the hill no problem. Make sure you use a properly rated chain, shackles, etc. around the tree and not a strap. The strap could get ruined by dragging it over the ground...this is one place where a chain should be used.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
neonistic
1981 CJ7 

But what about removing the stumps?
Unread 03-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
FarmBoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I doubt a winch is going to be of any use pulling a stump of any size. A winch is not supposed to be used for pulling.

Back in the say it took a pretty good tractor to pull stumps. If your trees are have any size to them you'll need to dig and cut the roots first.

-jeff b.
Unread 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Amadeus3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yeah a winch is not going to do it. depending on the size of the stump you need to get under it and cut the roots. Even excavators have a hard time with stumps. If you can you should just hire someone to grind it down, its easier, quicker, and you won't have a gigantic hole and a stump to dispose of.
Unread 03-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
ninemili22TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled a stump out yesterday in 4L with a tow strap
ninemili22TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
neonistic
1981 CJ7 

I was figuring that here it would be easier to pull a stump because the soil layer is so shallow. Usually less than 2 feet before hitting bedrock (lava). The trees I want to remove are sapling size trees.
Unread 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I do it all the time with the 12,000 lb winch on our 1980 GMC truck...works great, and its quick. I chock all 4 wheels with a 6 X 6 block of wood, I also set the parking brake. I throw a old bath towel over the winch line while pulling, just in case. To make it easier, I dig around the stump of the stump or tree, to loosen the soil a bit. Best to do this right after a good day of rain.

Hell I have pulled down old horse run-ins and old chicken houses we have on our farm with that winch.
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonistic View Post
I was figuring that here it would be easier to pull a stump because the soil layer is so shallow. Usually less than 2 feet before hitting bedrock (lava). The trees I want to remove are sapling size trees.

Saplings shouldn't be a problem for a good winch. You should be able to pull the entire tree and stump at the same time.
Soak the ground around the stump after you dig a bit around it. Cut the big roots that you can.
A towel on the winch cable is good, but a piece of carpet or old rug would be better in case the chain let's go.
Take pics and post them.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBoy View Post
I doubt a winch is going to be of any use pulling a stump of any size. A winch is not supposed to be used for pulling. ...
I agree that a winch won't be a lot of use in pulling a big stump but I do have to ask - What do you do with your winch? Push??
Unread 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

lol, beat me to it.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.