Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Winch on Stock Front BUMPER

26K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  PANY 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi.. just in process of doing some upgrades here. Was thinking of installing a winch up front. I am currently running the stock front bumper, with stock hooks and hoop bush guard. I would like to keep these items...

.. the question is what things should i be mindful of? and does anyone have pics of the stock bumper winch configuration..

.. that would be great.
Cheers.

The ZOMBIE

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Sure is a purty jeep you got there...lol

Here's mine. Harbor Freight Winch and the plate that came with it. Got both for $300...Had to drill the holes for the plate to fit. I would suggest going with a different plate as this one is a little on the thin side if you get a Harbor Freight winch(I recommend them against other users. Hasn't let me down yet.)

Your tow hooks will go back on fine with any plate. Not sure about the hoop though. It's according to how far forward it is on the bumper. You will have to worry about clearance on the fairlead part on the front of the winch plate. And relocating the fog lights is nothing but redrilling holes.

My suggestion is that if you are going to spend $150-$175 on a winch plate, go ahead and buy a new bumper with clevis's, a hoop, and a built in winch plate for like $250 off ebay...

#25 ·
......I would suggest going with a different plate as this one is a little on the thin side if you get a Harbor Freight winch...
Really? You're telling us that of all the things that could fail in a 8,000lb winch setup, you're worried about the solid steel plate?

You're not worried about the 1,900lb safe-working-load cable, or the four small bolts that hold onto the cast aluminum framed winch, or the bolts that hold the plate to the frame? If anything is giving up in a recovery job, it will be one of those components.... far before the winch plate.

#6 ·
#7 ·
bigchevyman24 said:
Sure is a purty jeep you got there...lol

Here's mine. Harbor Freight Winch and the plate that came with it. Got both for $300...Had to drill the holes for the plate to fit. I would suggest going with a different plate as this one is a little on the thin side if you get a Harbor Freight winch(I recommend them against other users. Hasn't let me down yet.)

Your tow hooks will go back on fine with any plate. Not sure about the hoop though. It's according to how far forward it is on the bumper. You will have to worry about clearance on the fairlead part on the front of the winch plate. And relocating the fog lights is nothing but redrilling holes.

My suggestion is that if you are going to spend $150-$175 on a winch plate, go ahead and buy a new bumper with clevis's, a hoop, and a built in winch plate for like $250 off ebay...
Mines a Tabor 9K on a Harbor Freight Jeep winch plate. It was $40 IIRC. The item # was 03444 but its not coming up in their website anymore. Might be discontinued. As of now I have the solenoid box under the hood and out of the way. This is a pic when I first got the TJ

#8 ·
#9 ·
Anyone else?

#10 ·
OEM bumper is just fine.

#11 ·
This was a shot to show the plow mounted up and how the winch isnt in the way - but its the best closeup I have. You can see the winch,plate, and stock hooks all in their proper places....

The winch and plate are the HF ones.

EDIT - without the plow.....

#12 ·
thanks for the posts.. dunno if this hoop will work as it seems.. and the winch seems like an expensive project.. i would probably want warn one, gonna surf over to ebay to see whats up.

The ZOMBIE

#22 ·
... and the winch seems like an expensive project.. i would probably want warn one, gonna surf over to ebay to see whats up.
Warn is a good way to go, the best deal I know of right now is the Warn M8000 at winchdepot.com, last I checked it was $515 shipped to your door.

#14 ·
Here's ours, a Ramsey Winch with an A to Z winch plate.

We like the setup, we did run into a problem with the fairlead. The Ramsey fairlead has two holes in it. The standard is a single hole which is what the A to Z winch plate has. The holes on the Ramsey fairlead won't line up with the holes on the A to Z winch plate.

Have to give a big thanks to Zach at A to Z though :thumbsup: , he sent us his fairlead to get us going.

#15 ·
Just to let you know...the jeeps with the harbor freight winch plate are actually TJ plates you can order from Harbor Freight...mine is the one that came with the winch that is a universal plate...

#17 ·
bigchevyman24 said:
Just to let you know...the jeeps with the harbor freight winch plate are actually TJ plates you can order from Harbor Freight...mine is the one that came with the winch that is a universal plate...
I have no proof of this - but someone here posted that the TJ specific plate is no longer available from HF....

Mine had come with the universal plate as well - i sold that and bought the TJ plate....

#24 ·
I have no proof of this - but someone here posted that the TJ specific plate is no longer available from HF....QUOTE]

The plates are available again. Often on sale for $29 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3444
More info here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496813

Is it really worth selling the universal plate (harbor freight) and buying the TJ one from harbor freight? ..
YES

Here's mine, factory bumber, HF TJ plate, Warn M8000 winch:

Since then, I switched to a Big Daddy Off Road bumper (I thought you'd like the name! :p)

#18 ·
Is it really worth selling the universal plate (harbor freight) and buying the TJ one from harbor freight?

This is really the last thing I am stuck on before I buy the winch. I have been looking at different pictures of both the universal and TJ plate and really I just can't decide. So if you have pictures and/or advice of either plates I would really like to see them.

When it comes to the winch, I may never really have to use the winch (only really family trail and 2 track rides) but we are alone in the woods and if we get stuck I will have the winch. I am taking the mindset either not have a winch or get a cheap one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.