Winch Solenoid Wiring - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch Solenoid Wiring

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #16
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwildmann View Post
The Warn setup uses 2 solenoids per direction. This is so that the current flowing to the motor is split between the 2 solenoids (since they are in parallel) and thus the continuous current going through one solenoid is half when compared to a 2 solenoid system. It also adds reliability since the solenoids are not operating close to or above their continuous duty rating and redundancy since if one solenoid craps out - the second can do the job but may be working at or over its rating.
interesting, I was wondering why there were 4 solenoids.

Unread 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is some misinformation in this thread about how warn winches are wired. I know, older thread but at least I'm not the only post this year.

Warn solenoids are in what is called an H bridge configuration. Not your standard mag motor H bridge but a series wound H bridge.

Warn does not switch the ground lead! The ground lead goes straight from the battery to the motor!
More importantly: The solenoids are not in parallel. They are in series. This does nothing for lightening the load on them!!!

Look at this picture:

Warn motors have 4 lugs. The 4th lug not shown in this picture goes straight to the battery negative. Between terminal C and the ground lug is what is called your series field. You know how a regular dc motor has magnets? These motors dont have permanent magnets around the can, they have electro magnets attached to the ground stud and C, and those electro magnets are powered in series with the armature.

Terminals A and B are your commutator brushes like on a regular DC motor.

Winching in trips solenoids 2 and 3. Power flows from the battery + through solenoid 3 to the B post, through the armature, out the A post, through solenoid 2, to the C post, through the series field, out the ground post, and back to the battery. Those solenoids are in series!
Winching out trips solenoids 1 and 4.

The moral of the story, you only need to know this part if you read this thread and dont understand circuits that well:
If you feel extra solenoids should be carried then carry them, don't think you are carrying 2 "prewired spares." If any one solenoid fails, your winch will not work in that direction.

Personally I fully understand the circuit and I could make the winch work if all 4 solenoids burnt out and I lost my remote using my booster cables, so I would not carry spares.

I believe the 2 solenoid setups use double throw solenoids. If you will imagine a solenoid as an on/off switch, a double throw solenoid is an on/off/on switch. Same circuit.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
bckarpman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just got a roadless dash controller and I have a Warn Zeon Winch, the wiring diagram shows 2 versions of a solenoid setup. Come to find out Warn doesn't use solenoids they now use contacters. All I see on mine is three wires attached to clips on top, can anybody give me advice on how to make the right connections. I was going to splice into the wires that go to the factory control wires but unsure if thats right. Called Warn and they wouldn't advise on the question. Wondering if anybody has good advise how to proceed
bckarpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can only say that the Warn remote uses 5 wires. Three of them control the winch direction.... Common, In, and Out. Connecting that common to either the in or out connection enables the winch in that direction.

The other two wires are a safety circuit for the solenoids. Whenever the remote control is activated in the In or Out direction, the remote control connects those two wires together. One of those two wires is a ground, the remote control connects that ground to the other wire when the remote is activated.

If you use a DPDT remote switch (double-pole double throw), one side can control the in-out, the other side can make the ground connection. On the ground side of the switch, you'll need to add a short jumper so the ground connection is made whether the switch is in the In or Out direction. That ground connection is what gives the ground to the control side of the contacts or solenoids. Its purpose is if there was a problem, you could just pull the remote's plug & deactivate the solenoids by removing the ground connection for their control side.

At least this is how it was on my previous HS9500i and current 9.5xp Warn winches. I can't imagine any of their current winches using a different winch control circuit design.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
bckarpman
2006 LJ Wrangler 

HI Jerry ,that makes sense, I see a smaller red wire goes to the red battery lead, and a black going down under the winch motor possibly to the negative battery lead ( its mounted so I can't see it ).The three going to the clips. The dash remote has three wires going to the solenoid or in Zeons case the contacter,and a smaller red and black going to a power and ground in the dash. So I should be able to put a double wire clip on each of the three on the contactor. Are those two going to the motor the ones you said deactivate the motor ?
bckarpman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.