Winch problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch problems

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyparts View Post
In this case a bad selenoid could cause what the op is describing because according to the wiring diagram the selenoids have both positive and negitive battery leads going to them. Both selenoids are in the crkt whether the winch motor is spooling in or out. So if one of the selenoids had a short it could cause the problem described.
I went back and glanced at the wiring diagram. It appears to be for a common DC two post motor. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a Ramsey guy, but I've never messed with a bidirectional winch that wasn't a 3 post motor (in other words, unless the OP has a 2 post electric motor, he needs to find a diagram for a three post).

On a 3 post motor, if a DPDT solenoid (2 solenoid setup) fails "off" on one of the solenoids, you'll have nothing in one direction and it will still work in the other. If it fails "on" on one of the solenoids, it'll be running when it should be doing nothing (I hope the OP would have mentioned this).

To test your motor:

Disconnect the power lead for the winch from the battery and put the winch in freespool.
Get a set of jumper cables and either a piece of wire (8 ga as a bare minimum) or a long insulated screwdriver (if you use this be very, very careful). The wire or screwdriver will be used as a jumper.
Place the cables on the battery like normal.
Place the negative lead to a ground point on the motor (bolts on the end of the motor should work).
Place the positive lead on the "A" post (the posts should be marked, but the "A" post is the one off by itself).
Run the jumper (the wire or screwdriver) from the "A" post to either "F1" or "F2" (Field posts 1 & 2 respectively).

If the motor works on one of them, try the other. If it doesn't work on one or both, recheck your ground. If it's grounding properly, your motor is hosed. If it's working OK, then you either have a solenoid problem, or a ground problem to your case.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was just going by the schematic. According to the schematic provided (I don't know if it is the correct one for the op's winch) there are no field winding terminals. So it would be a permenant magnet 2 terminal motor (armature posts A1 and A2 and no F terminals)
harleyparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you put the winch in free spool can you turn the drum by hand in both directions freely? If not then you might have a mechanical problem.
harleyparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyparts View Post
I was just going by the schematic. According to the schematic provided (I don't know if it is the correct one for the op's winch) there are no field winding terminals. So it would be a permenant magnet 2 terminal motor (armature posts A1 and A2 and no F terminals)
Yep... I can read a diagram, hence what I said above. As I said before, I'm not an expert on Ramsey winches; however, if every other bidirectional winch is any indication, the OP has a three post.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
scramblered
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have that same winch on my equipment trailer. I will sometimes have to play with the connection where the controller plugs into. Yes, it will only do it on one direction (can't remember which one at the moment) but with a little tension it works fine. Think it may be the pin connectors need spreading apart. Not a bad winch and has served me well for the last 10 years. Good luck, Dave.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Yep... I can read a diagram, hence what I said above. As I said before, I'm not an expert on Ramsey winches; however, if every other bidirectional winch is any indication, the OP has a three post.
It is a two post motor. This is Ramsey's budget model.
zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post

It is a two post motor. This is Ramsey's budget model.
Wow... I offer my most humble apologies. I've honestly never seen one like that (I figured that it would be like my brother's 8k Ramsey).

Once you determine the problem, please post about it. You definitely have my attention now.
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
Wow... I offer my most humble apologies. I've honestly never seen one like that (I figured that it would be like my brother's 8k Ramsey).

Once you determine the problem, please post about it. You definitely have my attention now.
I believe Ramsey sold the REP8000 both ways. I have seen them with three wire motors as well.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally had some time to work on it again last weekend. The problem was something pretty stupid that I didn't notice. The connection on back of the motor that goes to the solenoid box was shorted against the motor body. The terminal connector had spun around and was bent against the body of the motor itself. Fixed that and now it works!
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
Finally had some time to work on it again last weekend. The problem was something pretty stupid that I didn't notice. The connection on back of the motor that goes to the solenoid box was shorted against the motor body. The terminal connector had spun around and was bent against the body of the motor itself. Fixed that and now it works!
All good! Glad to hear it's working again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.