Winch problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch problems

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Winch problems

Winch is a Ramsey REP 8000 with external two wire solenoid pack. It spools out fine but will not spool in. When you try to spool in it puts such a load on the system the Jeep will go dead. If you idle it up to keep the motor from going dead the battery starts to smoke. No load is on the winch when this happens. I even removed the cable from the drum. Any ideas?

zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
jlp437
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere, if you aren't pulling and its causing the battery to die then you clearly have current running somewhere. Id probably look inside
jlp437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to track down a wiring diagram for the solenoids in the control box. Does anyone know if a two wire Ramsey control box has a separate solenoid for in and out? If so that is probably where I should start.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

personally I think you have a bad solenoid. If it runs in one direction it will run in the other. A bad solenoid would cause this. I'd bypass the solenoids and wire it up direct and check it in both directions first.
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Is this the winch you have??
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...rwc-111038.pdf
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Swap the selenoids and see if the problem moves with the selenoid if it does then the selenoid is the problem. If not you have another issue, wiring or motor. Good luck let us know what you find out
harleyparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it spools out fine, but not in I would say you have a solenoid problem. The winch motor does not have separate windings for each direction of rotation. The different solenoids change the polarity of the winding so the direction of rotation will change. The only other possibility could be that one of the motor terminals may be grounded (the one that is grounded during spool out). If that is so, it would then become a direct short during spool in operation.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
I'll have to track down a wiring diagram for the solenoids in the control box. Does anyone know if a two wire Ramsey control box has a separate solenoid for in and out? If so that is probably where I should start.
Does it have in/out buttons on remote? That would more than likely indicate 2 solenoid system. My old Ramsey has a lever in/free/out control with a single push button control
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
Yes, the REP8000
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I opened up the solenoid box over the weekend and checked all the wiring.
Using this diagram. http://www.wms1.com/cgi-bin/category...egory=inf_dwgs
It appears to be wired correctly. At this point i'm pretty sure it's a bad solenoid. I just need to find a replacement solenoid.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check the small wire going to the selenoid. When you press your in or out button you should have 12v on that little wire (it actuates the selenoid) if you have 12v then its your selenoid if you dont the problem is in your switch, wiring or plug.
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
danielatc4w

Sounds like a bad connection or a bad solenoid. Definitely double check all of your electrical connections before buying a new solenoid. =-)
danielatc4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bad solenoids shouldn't kill his Jeep. A crappy connection at the battery that gives out when the heavy amp load is applied would.

Check all your connections (pay special attention to the battery connections and the ground connection on the winch).
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #14
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In this case a bad selenoid could cause what the op is describing because according to the wiring diagram the selenoids have both positive and negitive battery leads going to them. Both selenoids are in the crkt whether the winch motor is spooling in or out. So if one of the selenoids had a short it could cause the problem described.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
harleyparts
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The winch motor gets its positive and negitive battery connections through the selenoids. So when one selenoid is supplying positive voltage the other selenoid is the negitive voltage path. A loose connection at the selenoid, in the selenoid or at the motor could also cause this. A grounded terminal on the motor could also cause this.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.