Winch Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment > Winch Maintenance

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
twhditto
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Winch Maintenance

Just wondering about any particular comments on how to maintain my Warn Winch I just put on over the weekend. I have a cover on the way and read that you make sure that the cable is dry before putting it back on the roller and to make sure it is nice and straight. Any other particulars? Thanks in advance.

Tom in the Great State of Arkansas

Unread 07-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to General Jeep & Off-Road Equipment Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhditto View Post
Just wondering about any particular comments on how to maintain my Warn Winch I just put on over the weekend. I have a cover on the way and read that you make sure that the cable is dry before putting it back on the roller and to make sure it is nice and straight. Any other particulars? Thanks in advance.

Tom in the Great State of Arkansas
I put dieltric grease in the contacts for the controller to keep them from corroding.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Which winch is it. The 8274 has a lot of mods you can do but I am not sure of the rest.

8274:
create oil fill and drain - done
grease electricals - done
move solinoid pack into engine compartment - just did but havent installed
swap solinoids for superwinch control box - just did but havent installed
take apart, grease and rebuild - done
powdercoat or paint - done
convert to double motor for a mind blowing line speed - still on the long list
Unread 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
karlo

Here's a good thread on how to take care of your winch - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/h...-help-1299317/
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That thread also asks about theft protection. Although a ton of locktite would make it hard for thieves it would make it hard for you as well. Tuffy sells a product called a "bolt locker". It's a two piece steel cover for one of the plate mounting bolts (usually the front two winch bolts are inaccessible until the mount is removed). One half goes on with one of the plate mounting bolts and the cover locks to it. It is made from 1/4" steel so it is quite durable.

Pics

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.